4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 10:51 PM by Laubender

Creating Buttons from Shapes

joev Level 3

I have an image that is composed of several products. I draw paths around each item, no fill or stroke, and create buttons. According to the documentation, InDesign Help | Buttons, I should be able to make a button from an object drawn with the pen tool. Well, it makes a button but converts the shape into a rectangle which is counter productive (all the buttons now overlap each other).

Am I missing something? How do you create a button from a custom path?

• 1. Re: Creating Buttons from Shapes
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@joev – fact is: the clickable area of a button in InDesign is always a rectangle.

However, what you could do is forming a shape by using a lot of tiny buttons (1) that all have the same properties.

Or you could abandon the idea of a button and use hyperlinks on text (2). Small text that flows into a text frame shaped at your will and a hyperlink is assigned to. The text could be filled with color "None".

If it's possible using (1) or (2) depends on the workflow and design you are intending. Should that button with HTML or DPS output? SWF output? PDF?

The image could be in the background. No functionality of a button. Just a plain image with a clipping path.

Above that the text frame with the hyperlinks following the shape of the clipping path and filled with hyperlinked text (1pt or less). Or various buttons following and filling the shape of the clipping path.

Uwe

• 2. Re: Creating Buttons from Shapes
            joev Level 3

ugh....... That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Creating Buttons from Shapes
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Buttons are always rectangular. You're not missing anything.

You'll have to rethink your design.

• 4. Re: Creating Buttons from Shapes
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ugh....... That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

@joev – that's the difference of using InDesign vs. Flash. In Flash you were able to use irregular shapes for click events (not to be confused with the output of buttons with SWF files in InDesign). But Flash is no option in this case. SWF as file format is stone dead…

Uwe