8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 11:18 PM by filmorphoto

lightroom wont see smart previews

Wh1skyJack Level 1

hi! so I am helping out a nother photographer by editing some of her work. She sent me the LRCAT file, then later sent me the smart previews folder for me to edit. However when I open up the LRCAT file, it does not read that there are smart previews. How do I tell LR where they are?

thanks!

~mike

• 1. Re: lightroom wont see smart previews
          areohbee Level 5

Smart previews are tied to photos via database ID.

If she sent you the correct smart previews, and you put them in the correct place, Lightroom will "see" them, theoretically (assuming it hasn't got a spike through it's brain.., or received a frontal lobotomy..).

So, you're turn - are they the correct smart previews? (built from the catalog you have) did you put them in the correct place? -

If you're not sure where to put them, then make some of your own and see where they go - that's where you want to put them..

Note: you need the WHOLE catalog Smart Previews.lrdata folder, so once you figure out where they go (by generating some), replace the entire folder with the correct one.

Rob

• 2. Re: lightroom wont see smart previews
            Wh1skyJack Level 1

I am assuming they are the right ones. I never saw the pics. She named her LRCAT file a very generic 'jpegs' so I changed the name of them LRCAT file, and then I changed the name of the smart previews folder. Is that what screwed it up? if so how do I fix that?

• 3. Re: lightroom wont see smart previews
              areohbee Level 5

I dunno - there's only one way for it to be right, and an infinite number of ways for it to be wrong - you'll need to be more specific: can you post a screenshot of your catalog folder?

• 4. Re: lightroom wont see smart previews
                Wh1skyJack Level 1

Screenshot 2014-08-25 22.00.52.png

sure! here ya go. Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: lightroom wont see smart previews
                  areohbee Level 5

I think I lied to you - I believe you need her regular previews folder too - preferrably that containing the same cross-section of photos she exported for you as catalog (instead of the whole kit-n-kaboodle).

Reason: the smart previews have the same "ID" as the regular previews, which Lr gets from the regular preview database.

Sorry - we're kinda figuring this out together - such was a recent discovery for me.

Note: the simplest thing would be to have her export a fresh catalog for you, which includes everything you need, including smart previews.

Note: the simplest thing would be to have her export a fresh catalog for you, which includes everything you need, including smart previews.

* Select photos

* File menu -> export as catalog.

(exclude "negatives")

Rob

• 6. Re: lightroom wont see smart previews
                    Wh1skyJack Level 1

ah shoot! ok I will get her to send those as well. Hey thanks alot man!

• 7. Re: lightroom wont see smart previews
                      areohbee Level 5

I think I lied to you twice now: not sure how Lr knows the ID for the smart previews at the moment - I just did a test and smart previews work without regular previews database - I guess the IDs come from the catalog database, but it must be the same catalog as was exported, so yeah: long-winded way of saying: you need to get a working set (package with everything that works together..) from her.

• 8. Re: lightroom wont see smart previews
                        filmorphoto

I'm looking for an answer to this too!