6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2014 8:29 AM by PeeVeeR RSS

Ping.......  Any update on Presonus Faderport support in CS6?

PeeVeeR

Last year in this forum there were indications that compatibility of the Presonus Faderport was a bit of a workaround - and without full panel functionality/implementation, maybe.

Having got bored with losing-out on numerous Mackie MCUs on eBay,  I realise that the single channel Faderport is all I really want to surrender desk space to!  Have there been any moves by the Audition dev team to check out single channel, motorised fader offerings like the Presonus unit?

Cheers,

Pete.

• 1. Re: Ping.......  Any update on Presonus Faderport support in CS6?
          PeeVeeR Community Member

Ping! squared.....

I think I need to put this another way......

Please can all CS6 users who employ a USB-ported control surface for transport etc - ideally, on a Win7 PC - please tag this with:-

A)       What you use:

B)      Pros:

C)     Cons:

Thanks in anticipation,

Pete.

• 2. Re: Ping.......  Any update on Presonus Faderport support in CS6?
            PeeVeeR Community Member

A number of viewers of this thread, for sure!  I'm assuming that none of them are Adobe support reps. 

Can I please have a comprehensive list of interactive control surfaces that have been type approved by Adobe to work with Audition CS6 under Win7(64) Home Premium? 

Pete.

• 3. Re: Ping.......  Any update on Presonus Faderport support in CS6?
              _durin_ Employee Hosts

The Faderport appears to only support Mackie HUI emulation, not Mackie MCU emulation, which is the flavor that Audition and Premiere Pro support at this time.  Devices which only emulate HUI will not be compatible.

I do like these smaller form-factor consoles, though, and I have an open feature request to investigate demand and support requirements for HUI devices, even though it's an older protocol that enjoys less support from Digidesign than the newer consoles and protocols.  There might be enough legacy hardware out there to help justify development efforts.

• 4. Re: Ping.......  Any update on Presonus Faderport support in CS6?
                PeeVeeR Community Member

Thanks for acknowledging the request.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who values the idea of a channel-traversable, single motorised fader solution to virtual machine control!  Seems a given, to me!

However, other than the MCU, and Euphonix desks I still don't have a clue as to what current interface products have been tested with CS6.  The only commentary relating to control surface support seems to be the video on Youtube featuring an Adobe "evangelist"!  I find it hard to imagine that a dev group have not surveyed and tested all the modern surfaces, so that Audition users can buy with confidence.  It just doesn't seem business-like.   I'll play my trump card:  I've been legally blind for 19 years now and so I know that tactile interfaces win over GUIs!  What I have also learned is that what works for me is generally what normally-sighted folk are also more comfortable and productive with.  If Adobe really haven't looked into the Faderport - and other modern offerings - then I reckon a 'straw poll' would prove the desirability of that interfaces functions.

I'll leave it there.  Feel free to come back - off-list - if you want to discuss more thoughts.

Cheers,

Pete.

• 5. Re: Ping.......  Any update on Presonus Faderport support in CS6?
                  SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

PeeVeeR wrote:

I'll play my trump card:  I've been legally blind for 19 years now and so I know that tactile interfaces win over GUIs!  What I have also learned is that what works for me is generally what normally-sighted folk are also more comfortable and productive with. 

Quite. In fact, the GUI controllers actually make things worse, not better - you have to look at an additional screen in order to put your fingers in the correct place, and that does nothing for your productivity rate at all! If you have to have an external controller, there's no point whatsoever unless it's a tactile one. And yes, the devs are fully aware of this - I made this point a long time ago.

• 6. Re: Ping.......  Any update on Presonus Faderport support in CS6?
                    PeeVeeR Community Member

Cheers SteveG,

Eureka! .....

The KORG nanoKONTROL2 can be installed (under Win7) to provide multi-track session control  of AA CS6.  The panel itself needs to be booted-up into "Live!" mode by a combination key-press (in the broadsheet manual that comes with it), for the first time only.  Whilst the interface isn't lovely from a tactile pov - it's tiny, busy and totally free of detents (:-( ) - it does provide an incredibly dense functionality for crowded desks or for lap' use.  Just be mindful of the MIDI-USB driver loading (seems to take 20 mins!) as what Windows installs automatically did not load the MIDI ports driver that the Mackie Control mode needed to allocate in the Preferences>Control Surfaces menu.  The KORG website hosts the drivers loader - which doesn't come with the hardware - very sensibl reallye.  More drink coaters I do not need.  Bear in mind that they provide a loader and that you then need to actually download and install the driver!  First time around I must say that it worked fine, with all the right tallies, but after I took various prompted updates from KORG - the nonoKONTROL2 failed to be recognised.  I uninstalled everything KORG - drivers, apps - and started again with the KORG driver manager.  I just reloaded the MIDI USB driver - nothing else is needed.

It's got to be the lowest cost, most compact way of getting seven track and-the-metronome - right in front of you.  The nanoKONTROL2 does page-switch for more track banks allegedly.  Haven't tested that.

Well worth a try!

Cheers,

Pete.