5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 6:48 AM by johnrellis

Can dates be added to meta data?

Gray Drake Level 1

I am making a slide show of family activities over the  years since I have had a digital camera.  Deaths are involved so the sequence is critically important.  My initial digital camera always did not record the date of the photo, although sometimes it did (or perhaps I lost this info in editing actions). I am creating a family slide show using a couple hundred of the best photos over the years using a Smart Collection based on image ratings.  These images without dates in the metadata do not sequence properly, and Smart Collections do not allow for custom sorting.  Unfortunately, when the date is missing, Lightroom does not show the box in which the date is normally included within the metadata in the Develop Mode.

Now for the question - is it possible for me to enter the date into the meta data as an edit in LR under my circumstances?  If this were possible, I would be able to correctly sequence the photos in my Smart Collection slide show.

Thanks for any input.

• 1. Re: Can dates be added to meta data?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Use the command Metadata > Edit Capture Time to change (or set) the date/time an image was taken.

• 2. Re: Can dates be added to meta data?
            Gray Drake Level 1

Thank you for the response, but ............

This works when the original photo has a date.  The photos in question do not have a date and the metadata listing does not include a box where a date could be entered.  Since I know the proper dates I can enter them, but there is no place to enter the info.  This is the case for the image in the library folder and in the smart collection.

Even when I go to enter a date using specified presets, not date box appears.

Any chance of creating the required box?

• 3. Re: Can dates be added to meta data?

It's not clear you understood my previous message.  Detailed steps to change the capture date of any photo, regardless of whether it already has a capture date in its metadata:

1. In Library grid mode, select one or more photos.

2. In the Metadata menu, click Edit Capture Time:

Untitled1.png

3. The following window appears, which lets you enter a new capture date/time:

Untitled2.png

• 4. Re: Can dates be added to meta data?
                Gray Drake Level 1

Thank you John

One key here is the "grid view".

From your previous message I went to the image from another view (loupe I believe) and changed the date per your process; and while the date appeared to change in this window, it reverted back to the original date when returning to other views.  When starting from the grid view,  however, the new date is now permanently tied to the image in all views.

Your fixes are short, clear, to the point and effective!  Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Can dates be added to meta data?

Great, glad it's working for you.