1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 2:47 AM by areohbee

Nikon Flat Picture Control is changed in Lightroom on Import

morning land

Hey there!

I like to use the Flat Picture Control on my Nikon D810 because it creates a nice balance between the shadows and highlights in my pictures; it is really quite incredible.

The problem is that after I import them into Lightroom, the files are reworked to look identical to my photos shot in the Standard Picture Control.  I shoot RAW and know that the picture controls are basically removed when you go into lightroom and "flattened out".  What is really bizarre is that, with this new picture control, the flat photos have give more punch.

Is there a way to prevent this and keep the original tone of the Flat files?

• 1. Re: Nikon Flat Picture Control is changed in Lightroom on Import
          areohbee Level 5

morning land wrote:

the picture controls are basically removed when you go into lightroom and "flattened out".

It would be more accurate to say the picture controls (and all other in-camera settings) are replaced by Lightroom defaults, which can be flatter than a lake or contrasty as a mountain - depending on how you set them up.

If you want photos to look more like Nikon's Neutral picture style upon import, then choose the Nikon Neutral profile as your default - see camera calibration section to select profile, then Alt/Option-Click the 'Reset' button to set as your new default.

Once you get the defaults set up how you want, you can consider whether you want to have some develop presets that you use during import, if you know you'll want something different than default. Of course you can always use a preset after import instead, so the ability to assign a preset upon import is just a bit of convenience.

Rob