Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional Text Markers, using parentheses

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm generating one set of help files for three different users. I understand how to limit what each individual user types see. However, my problem arises when there are a few topics, or a few sections within a topic, that I'm supposed to reveal to two users, but not the third. Do I need to generate additional versions of the help for the "pairs" of users? Or is there a way to use parentheses, or something, to isolate. For example: User1 OR (User1 AND User 2).

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you understand how to limit what User 1 and User 2 see but you haven't shared your understanding with us. Are you generating different outputs for them or are you using Content Categories to provide a dropdown that allows them to choose their user type?

The latter would allow you to set up various outputs that can be viewed, one of those could exclude what you don't want User 3 to see. However, whilst it would give them access to help that would not include the excluded content, they would still be able to select User 1 or User 2 and see it. It depends on how strict you have to be with what you do not want User 3 to see.

If it is vital they simply cannot see it anyway they try, then you need two outputs. The only other way would be to user Rh Server as well where access control can be enforced. See the RoboServer forum where this has been discussed recently.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I am generating three separate single source layouts to manage my three users. I guess I was just hoping there was some additional logic available in RH that would allow the type of filtering I showed in my initial post. Maybe an enhancement for a future version?

Thanks for your input, as always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is additional logic to CBT's, but the system is really build for excluding instead of including. Having said that, head over to Peter's site for some detailed information: http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/build_expressions/expressions.htm

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, William. I'll experiment using these examples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp