22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 3:07 PM by A.T. Romano

UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!

Jengelz

Im having a serious problem with my adobe premiere elements 11 software! i use a windows 7 laptop. Adobe has LOST all of my footage, and replaced it with the red "offline" clip image. im assuming this has to do with an update problem, as i am unable to update adobe elements 9. and as a result i get this error code: U43M1D207 Can anyone help me???

• 1. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 2. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jengelz

If you are seeing and getting the colorful media offline displays in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit, that points to a media disconnect

a. you moved, deleted, renamed source media that went into the project after the project was saved closed

b. you store your project's source media on an external hard drive that has malfunctioned (possibly changing drive letter).

Are you getting "Where is the file....?" message when you attempt to open one of your saved closed projects?

Not sure how Premiere Elements 9 is factoring into this. What are you trying to update in version 9 - the 9.0.1 Update or Camera Raw 6.5 (the last Camera Raw version available for Premiere Elements 9). If you need the 9.0.1 Update, obtain it from the Adobe link

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

We will be watching for your follow up information to decide what next if necessary.

Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
              Jengelz Level 1

Thank you for your response. and yes i am getting the "Where is the file....?" message every time i open the file. any further advice on that? and also: adobe premiere elements checked for updates, and the only thing that pops up is the "premiere elements 9.0.1 updater". i went to the link you provided but didn't know the proper way to save the file to premiere. any advice on this?

• 4. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jengelz

Thanks for the reply.

As for the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update, just do a regular download and install of the update. You do not even have to have Premiere Elements 9 open to do this download and install. When you get the message that the install is completed, you close out of there, and you reopen what is now Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1,  click on Help Menu/About Premiere Elements/ for the display of 9.0.1 at the top of the area that is scrolling below it.

Do you know for a fact that all the source media that went into your project is still OK, and do you know where they are? If so, you are going to use the "Where is the file...." to find and reconnect the project with the file named in the message. It wants the exact file name and type. This is typically a one at a time process. But, if you get lucky, doing one message may take care of more than just one of the missing media.

Remember, when you import your source media into a project, what you have in the project are copies of the originals that are saved to the computer hard drive. But, the project copies need to trace back to the originals at the hard drive location where they were when they were first imported into the project.

Please let us know if any questions or need clarification on the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                  Jengelz Level 1

thanks for the reply... yes i do have all of the saved footage, when i open the "Where is the file..." i click the file i recieve the "file import failure" window. the error message says:This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed. is this where the premiere elements download comes in handy??

• 6. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jengelz

Thanks for the reply. Glad that you can have all the saved footage.

We just need to figure out why the "Where the file......?" message(s) are not recognizing your source footage.

Just to make sure that you are picking up the exact files that the messages seek, please give me a

few actual examples of file name including file extensions....

First "Where is the file....?" message, exact name of the file asked for in the message

Then the name of the original file and its location on the computer hard drive.

Do that for the first 4 or 5 messages. If you cannot get beyond the first message because you cannot supply the file specific for that message, click

Skip at the bottom of the message, and go onto the next message. All you want to know is the named file for each message.

Can you open a new project without issue? Is this the only afflicted project?

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                      Jengelz Level 1

Thanks again for the help. Whenever i get the "Where is the file...." window, i go to "My documents" (the source in which i saved my movie) and click on my the saved footage entitled: 'My new video project (backup).prel'. whenever i click on this file i get the "file import failure window." at the bottom of this window it says: "This type of file is not supported; or the codec required is not installed." <-----This message lead me to believe there was an issue with the version i had of elements; also leading me to believe i need to finish the given updates. (adobe elements 9). any advice on this?

PS. i tried the skip feature but it gave me the same result.

• 8. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                        Jengelz Level 1

..........also... the name of the FIRST file asked with the "where is" window is "My movie (remastered).wmv"

• 9. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jengelz

I think I see the problem.

If the first "Where is the file....?" message is specifically asking for the file named "My movie (remastered).wmv", that is what is must be. With these messages, the missing file does not have to be in the location where it was when you imported it into the project originally but it must be the specifically named file.

When you get that first of the messages, If what you are doing is navigating to "My new video project (backup).prel", that is doomed to failure

a. it is not the specially named file that the project is seeking.

b. files with .prel file extensions cannot be imported into a Premiere Elements project file (project.prel).

Please review and consider, and let me know if I have interpreted correctly the situation that you have just described.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                            Jengelz Level 1

Yes... all of what you said sounds about right. but how do i get to the original file? what caused me to get the "where is the file" window in the first place? Ive never had this problem until elements 11 came out with some updates. any further help?

• 11. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jengelz

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any idea where the "My movie (remastered).wmv" is? Could you have deleted it or renamed it after you saved closed the project? Could you have it in safe keeping on an external hard drive?

At this point, you cannot even start the project anew since you cannot find the source media that went into the original project.

Please look at the other "Where is the file.....?" messages to determine if they all have the same problem, that is, there is no matching file to connect to?

When you run into a file such as "My new video project (backup).prel", can you right click it and tell it to Open With Premiere Elements 11 and it does? If so, is there any worthwhile content in that project or do you get "Where is the file....?" message for this also?

ATR

• 12. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                Jengelz Level 1

thanks for the help! i was able to locate most of my footage with the "where is file" feature the only issue i have now is i am missing a 2 clips. i know the names for these two clips but when i try to open  them with the "where is the file" window i get an error message saying: "The importer reported a generic error" and am unable to get that footage back. what does this mean?

also i tried the "open with" feature and i still get the where is the file message.

• 13. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jengelz

Sounds like great progress. Great job.

Now to the 2 missing clips.

For each clip, please tell me

1. What is the name of the file specifically named in "Where is the file.....?" 1 of 2?

2. What is the name of the file specifically named in "Where is the file.....?" 2 of 2?

3. For each, what is the specific file name of the file that you are finding on the hard drive that you believe goes with the particular message?

I am hoping, that in going over this information, we can spot a small difference that was not seen on first look.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                    Jengelz Level 1

the name of the first clip im looking for is called IMG_4114.MOV

the second clip is called IMG_4124.MOV

..again whenever i click on the correct file i get the error message window saying: the importer has encountered a generic error.

• 15. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jengelz

Have all the other successful reconnects been with video files with the .mov file extension?

I am wondering if you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements? If you go to Share/Computer/QuickTime, does the program have presets for QuickTime?

Can you play IMG_4114.MOV and IMG+4124.MOV in the QuickTime player?

Depending on your answers, it might be worthwhile to run each through the free codec utility named GSPot.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

and let us know the information for Video Codec Name Status and also Audio Codec Status.

We will be watching for further results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                        Jengelz Level 1

thanks again for the help... i actually uninstalled quick time on account of a couple of issues i had with premiere elements... could it be that these problems are related? i can still play IMG_4114.MOV (via windows media player)  on my computer regularly... i just cant import those particular MOV files to elements.

• 17. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jengelz

You may have found the answer to your present situation with those .mov files.

Premiere Elements (any version) requires that QuickTime be installed on the same computer with it. And, both these programs need to be run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

Please install latest version of QuickTime on your computer with Premiere Elements before continuing with any further troubleshooting since this install may (should) fix your outstanding issue (those 2 .mov files).

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                            Jengelz Level 1

ahhh yes i have solved all of my elements issues thanks friend! now one last question. what do i do if i ever run into this problem again? so far elements has proven to be a little bit unpredictable. any advice?

• 19. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jengelz

Terrific news...."solved all my elements issues". You did a great job sorting through the issue details which was a not so easy task.

The best safeguard against the Missing Media syndrome is to assure at all costs that you are not moving, deleting, or renaming source media files that were imported into the project after you save close the project.

As I said before, when you import source files into the project, all you have are copies of the originals, and the project needs to trace back to the originals in the hard drive save location where they were when they were first imported into the project.

So, do the move, delete, rename folder files maneuvers will caution.

The Project Archiver, Archiver Project or Copy Project options, is a good way to avoid these problems especially when you go to store a project for much later use. With this feature, copies are made of project file and the media that the project needs to trace back to. More details are found..

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/07/pe12-archiving-projects-with-disc-menus.html

I would not use this for "everyday" project - I would prefer to use this for the longer term storage projects.

But, please do not hesitate to ask if you are at a cross road on this type of question. We would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 20. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                                Jengelz Level 1

ahhhh i see, i probably should've figured not to rename some of my files. ill make sure to keep my files organized and consistent. thanks again for all the help. i really do appreciate it. i will certantly be using a couple of links. including this. i will also be coming back if i need help with any more elements problems i may encounter in the future, again thank you

• 21. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                                  Jengelz Level 1

ahhhh i see, i probably should've figured not to rename some of my files. ill make sure to keep my files organized and consistent. thanks again for all the help. i really do appreciate it. i will certantly be using a couple of links. including this. i will also be coming back if i need help with any more elements problems i may encounter in the future, again thank you

• 22. Re: UPDATE ERROR! offline footage!
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jengelz

Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance, so never hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification.

Those "Where is the file....?" situations get all of us one time or another.

You had a difficult task, and you did well.

Best wishes

ATR