3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 4:18 AM by dj_paige

How to move from Lightroom to PSE, forcing developer module changes into the jpgs while retaining original jpg

rademers

After a year of using Lightroom, I have decided that Photoshop Elements is better for me as I am not a professional photographer and PSE has certain features, such as scanner support, that I have missed. I understand that the LR developer module does not change the original jpgs, that it keeps a record of any changes made to a picture in the LR catalog. Since PSE works differently, I need to flatten the LR changes into the jpgs before importing them into PSE.  However, I would also like to keep the original jpgs so that I can put them into a version stack in PSE. Finally, I don't want to have to do all this on a picture by picture basis as I have 13,000+ pictures in my catalog. So is there a way to tell the LR Library module to do what I want to every picture in the catalog?  I plan to make the move to PSE after the next version is released this Fall.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

• 2. Re: How to move from Lightroom to PSE, forcing developer module changes into the jpgs while retaining original jpg
          rademers Level 1

Thanks, I have taken a closer look at File Export. 

1. Export flattens all Developer module changes into the jpeg. Great.

2. I can export all of a file's metadata into the jpeg. Great.

3.I can export metadata in the  Lightroom's hierarchy format.  Great.

But what does PSE do with the hierarchy?  Will it reconstruct the keyword hierarchy it the PSE catalog on import?

4. I can export the files into the same directories, thereby maintaining my rather extensive directory structure. Great.

5. I can rename the exported file such that the exported files have the same filename plus a sequence number. Great.

But how can I then tell apart the original pictures from the LR developed pictures.

Do I need to create virtual copies of the developed pictures?

If so, how do I find the pictures that have been developed? Is there a filter that will do this?

• 3. Re: How to move from Lightroom to PSE, forcing developer module changes into the jpgs while retaining original jpg
            dj_paige Level 9

3.I can export metadata in the  Lightroom's hierarchy format.  Great.

But what does PSE do with the hierarchy?  Will it reconstruct the keyword hierarchy it the PSE catalog on import?

I don't know, but you can try it and find out

5. I can rename the exported file such that the exported files have the same filename plus a sequence number. Great.

But how can I then tell apart the original pictures from the LR developed pictures.

Do I need to create virtual copies of the developed pictures?

If so, how do I find the pictures that have been developed? Is there a filter that will do this?

Why do you need to tell apart the original pictures from the developed ones? I thought you were going to stack them in PSE. And anyway, you can put some clue into the exported file name that indicates its been developed in Lightroom.

Virtual copies? No

Pictures that have been developed can be found in Lightroom using a smart collection