• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you combine multiple queries into one?

Contributor ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a database table of options for additions to homes. I have another table for categories for these options. Right now I'm making a lot of queries to get each individual category of options. It looks something like this:

</cfquery>

<cfquery datasource="applewood" username="username" password="password" name="getCategory2" >

SELECT *

FROM op_categories WHERE idOpCategories = 3

</cfquery>

<cfquery datasource="applewood" username="username" password="password" name="getCategory3" >

SELECT *

FROM op_categories WHERE idOpCategories = 4

</cfquery>

...and so on. Is there a way to make 1 query that will find each WHERE clause? I want it to look like this on one page:

Category 1          Category 2          Category 3

---------------         -----------------          ----------------

Option 1             Option 1               Option 1

Option 2             Option 2               Option 2

Option 3             Option 3               Option 3

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

What about this..

<cfquery datasource="applewood" username="username" password="password" name="getAllCategory" >

SELECT *

FROM op_categories WHERE idOpCategories in (3,4)

</cfquery>

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about this..

<cfquery datasource="applewood" username="username" password="password" name="getAllCategory" >

SELECT *

FROM op_categories WHERE idOpCategories in (3,4)

</cfquery>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke before I tried. thank you, it worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need more information. Do the categories have the same number of options? How are Option 1, Option 2, etc. related?

If you require just a number of option values to build the display, why then do you use 'select *' instead of, say, 'select opID, idOpCategories'? It would help to know more about the columns in op_categories and how they are related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The options category has the actual options plus a FK of the categories. So the category would be "dishwashers" and the options would be "power scrub dishwasher", "Dishwasher". Each category can have multiple options in them. You can see  short example at the following address http://www.applewoodcommunity.com/textareaTest.cfm. This shows the format I want to accomplish. Right now each category/option section has it's own query statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

skinneyfat wrote:

The options category has the actual options plus a FK of the categories. So the category would be "dishwashers" and the options would be "power scrub dishwasher", "Dishwasher". Each category can have multiple options in them. You can see  short example at the following address http://www.applewoodcommunity.com/textareaTest.cfm. This shows the format I want to accomplish. Right now each category/option section has it's own query statement.

Why mention any categories at all? From the example you show, I would in fact go for the zero-brainer:

<!--- Incidentally, the name of your query says it all! --->

SELECT *

FROM op_categories

</cfquery>

Then use query-of-a-query to pick out the categories as, and when, you need them. This offers you flexibility and the economy of just one trip to the database.

<cfquery dbtype="query" name="cat3">

SELECT *

FROM getAllCategory

WHERE idOpCategories = 3

</cfquery>

<cfquery dbtype="query" name="cat4">

SELECT *

FROM getAllCategory

WHERE idOpCategories = 4

</cfquery>

<cfoutput query="cat3">

<!--- Do yer category 3 stuff here --->

</cfoutput>

<cfoutput query="cat4">

<!--- Do yer category 4 stuff here --->

</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation