8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 2:33 PM by ssprengel

5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"

DavePinMinn Level 1

I'm developing a SIGNIFICANT dislike of the whole Adobe CC thing...  At the moment CC on my system is inoperative.  Application manager doesn't work, and nothing will install from there.

For the last month I've been installing applications directly, and UNTIL NOW, IT'S WORKED FINE.........

I currently HAD LR 5.5 on the box.  I need to go to LR 5.6.  I downloaded the file for 5.6 from the ProDesignTools EXACTLY THE WAY I'VE HAD TO DO FOR THE LAST MONTH.

And extracted it EXACTLY the same way I did for LR5.5, which WAS on the system until I tried to install 5.6...

Started the installation, answered the questions, and it starts installing.  Then I get a popup that says "OBJECT ALREADY EXISTS"...

In the installation window it SAYS it's "updating component registration"

And, of course, LR 5.5 has been clobbered so now I've got NO Lightroom..........  And NO, 5.5 won't re-install.

Anybody know what's wrong THIS time?

• 1. Re: 5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"
          DavePinMinn Level 1

Just spent the last half hour on the phone with support. And I KNOW it's not the poor level 1 body, wherever he is, fault that he hasn't got a clue why 5.6 won't install, 5.5 has been wiped out, 5.5 won't reinstall, and not even 5.0 will install -THEY ALL FAIL WITH "OBJECT ALREADY EXISTS"

After doing the necessary dance, he decided to transfer me to the "lightroom expert" since Level 2 support was gone for the day...  Wait, wait, wait.  And drops the call.

Called back, got a DIFFERENT person, and went through the whole thing again. Got the same questions, gave the same answers, and eventually he decided to "transfer me"...

AND DROPPED THE CALL AGAIN....

This would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.  BUT, it gets better...

To cap off the wondrous support experience...   Called back AGAIN (THIRD time), after the call was dropped the second time.  This time I get the message that they ACCEPT calls at this number until 7 pm Pacific time......  Yes, it's now 7:02 PACIFIC TIME......  So, have a new case, call was SUPPOSED to be transferred twice, and I'm dead in the water until I have a chance to call AGAIN tomorrow, go through the same process, and HOPEFULLY get to someone that can tell me WHAT "object already exists"...

Does anyone have the phone number for the office of the person that SUPPOSED to give a damn about the quality of Adobe support?

• 2. Re: 5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"
            BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

I am not sure what actual Operating System you are using but if it is Windows there is a recent Security Update for the Windows Installer that has, in some cases, disabled the Installer.

The Update is KB2918614 and you can see the description here: MS14-049: Description of the security update for Windows Installer Service: August 12, 2014

You can uninstall via the Control Panel, View Installed Updates, search for "KB2918614" in the search installed updates box, select it and Uninstall it and then see if that helps with the install of 5.6

• 3. Re: 5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"
              DavePinMinn Level 1

Oh, rats!  I was so busy trying to keep this half-crippled box running that I forgot the basics..........

Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.  CC is on, but broken, which is why I'm having to install outside the application manager (there's a case open, but I need the time when I don't need anything to work so Adobe can spend time rummaging around on the machine and breaking what's still working)...

• 4. Re: 5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"
                DavePinMinn Level 1

OK, I removed the security update, and the software installed...  BUT, it's late, and I'm somewhat groggy - is there somewhere in that description where it says in clear, simple, easy-to-understand language that if I let the incessant, weekly Microsoft update install this thing in amongst the other dozen weekly updates, it'll wreak havoc with trying to install other software?

And since I presume Adobe keeps up with these things, wouldn't SOMEONE there have put something out to the level 1 support people in the last 2 weeks so they'd KNOW if some dufus like me calls and says repeatedly "IT'S TELLING ME THE OBJECT EXISTS" they'd say "Oh, uninstall security update xxx"?  Of course, the "Lightroom Expert" MAY have know this, but I"ll never know since they dropped the call TWICE instead of getting it transferred........

Or am I presuming too much about what Adobe is and/or is not doing as far as making sure their software will actually install on machines that Microsoft keeps "improving"?

• 5. Re: 5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"
                  BKKDon Level 4

DavePinMinn wrote:

- is there somewhere in that description where it says in clear, simple, easy-to-understand language that if I let the incessant, weekly Microsoft update install this thing in amongst the other dozen weekly updates, it'll wreak havoc with trying to install other software?

And since I presume Adobe keeps up with these things?

Hi,

You can turn off automatic updates by changing the settings to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" then when you see the update appear again ... it will ... just right-click on it and choose "Hide Update" and that will stop it from being re-installed.

Not many people are aware of this issue and it doesn't affect all Win 7 or Win 8/8.1 just some so I wouldn't expect Adobe to be aware of it unless it actually affected one of their PC's.

Glad I could have helped, and glad you got a solution

• 6. Re: 5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"
                    DavePinMinn Level 1

Thanks for the information.  Yes, I've always had my systems set so it tells me there are updates, then I can look and see which to install.  I usually install the important ones, but often skip the optional things for desktops and bing and all that.......

I"m just glad this thing is up and running......

Since I've got a week, I think I'll contact support and churn back through the channels to level 2 or beyond and let them get on the box and chomp away until they figure out why NOTHING in CC is working. 

• 7. Re: 5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"
                      scalawag37

And I thought I had done something wrong!  Almost exactly the same problem.  Tried late August updating both CC and LR5.5  Soon both didn't work and

nothing since.  Will try everything listed here so far....and hopefully something will work.  I DEPEND on LR!   IS Adobe working on this??

• 8. Re: 5.6 Installation fails "object already exists"
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Uninstall the Windows Update listed, above.