4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2007 7:15 AM by Greg Dove

Navigation Using Script?

Hi all,
      I'm looking for advice on how the experts do this kind of thing. (Link below) The text navigation next to the guy in the middle of the flash piece has a nice bounce to it (both the text and the arrow glow). I can create this using a movie in a rollover button where the movement is created using frames and editing the ease in/out curves. But is this how the experts do it? Or do they use action script?

This has such a nice organic feel to it and I'm getting close by using the ease in/out curves - but it's not quite right yet. I can play with it - but . . . ya know . just wondering what the 'smarties' do. I'm not afraid of Actionscript - just don't use it a ton to drive my animations cause I only use flash a few times a month and I don't retain like I should.

Here's the link:
      www.hypertemplates.com

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Navigation Using Script?
          Level 7
          I use Flash for a long time and I also like to program nice scripts,
          function, prototypes to make developing easier.

But I always follow the rule to "keep it simple". I also would say if
          you have a graphical user interface with it's "helperfunctions": use it!
          You don't have to create time consuming actionscript just because you
          are able to.

So I would say using frame animations is better then programmed
          animations because they are easier to change if the customer wants
          something different.

The only downside here in your example could be that you have to animate
          every word animation unless you take some actionscript to set the text
          automatically. Combining scripts with frame animations is also a good
          thing. You could create one Button and use actionscript to duplicate the
          first one and also set the button names automatically.
          • 2. Re: Navigation Using Script?
            Level 1
            Thanks so much! This is pretty much what I thought. I like keeping things simple - but sometimes there are cases where script makes more sense than frames. I appreciate your response!

• 3. Re: Navigation Using Script?
              Level 1
              Thanks so much! This is pretty much what I thought. I like keeping things simple - but sometimes there are cases where script makes more sense than frames. I appreciate your response!

• 4. Re: Navigation Using Script?
                Greg Dove Level 4
                There are definitely cases where scripting would make things a lot more flexible. Choosing the best approach depends on the situation. Its a trade-off between how much time/effort is involved now vs how frequently the content and its layout or animation types needs to change.

You could for example have all the content, layout and animation definitions in an external XML file (or pulled from a database) and have a completely different look and feel rendered by the swf based on the xml content. But it just depends what the requirements are. The fact that things change or get updated doesn't mean that they have to break the keep it simple rule - but if they change frequently then scripting is a good investment in time up-front to reduce the (potentially mundane!) work of editing the existing animations and content.