8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 9:15 PM by areohbee

Problems reading xmp data into dng files

Moominman

Hi there,

I am working on a Mac and have exported files as lossy dng for colour correction externally. They have done the work for LR 5 process (I am using CC) and returned xml files. I cannot seem to read this data into the dng files for further editing in Lightroom. I have tried re-importing them and I have tried reading metadata from file. Any help would be appreciated as I usually simply read the xmp to the original RAW but the RAW files are currently on an external drive in another country!!!

Thanks,

Andy

• 1. Re: Problems reading xmp data into dng files
          areohbee Level 5

moominman wrote:

They have done the work for LR 5 process (I am using CC) and returned xml files.

Extension must be xmp (and syntax must adhere to xmp standard..).

Lightroom will read xmp in dng sidecar only if the last-modification date is recent enough (otherwise it ignores sidecar in favor of whatever's embedded in dng file).

So, if Lr is not reading the sidecar, touch it (modify it somehow, so it seems new).

Let me know if you need more help.

Rob

• 2. Re: Problems reading xmp data into dng files
            Moominman Level 1

Thank you Rob, it's always the simplest thing! What a nightmare and thank you. One more question - if I edit these images with lightroom edits such as spot correction etc, will I be able to apply the xmp files to the full resolution files when I get them back? (In other words, are they resolution specific and is all this data stored in xmp or is some of it only in the catalogue)

• 3. Re: Problems reading xmp data into dng files
              areohbee Level 5

all is in xmp, and should apply to full-rez original when available (but I won't be offended if you test that out for yourself before committing - if our roles were reversed, I would ).

Honestly, I would have guessed (recently did guess) things like painting were resolution specific, but I recently tried it and somehow (I dunno how), Lightroom is smart enough to map edits to full-rez - it's a freakun' miracle if you ask me, pardon my swahealy. I guess it's using relative vector paths (like Flash) instead of bitmap technology, and so is readily scalable..(just a guess).

Cheers,

Rob

• 4. Re: Problems reading xmp data into dng files
                Moominman Level 1

Again, thank you! I will try and maybe check like you said but thank heavens for some bright spark in Adobe! They may have saved my workflow until I regain my disc

Cheers,

Andy

• 5. Re: Problems reading xmp data into dng files
                  Moominman Level 1

Hello,

I now have my original RAW files back but Can't find a way of exporting the whole set of xmps with develop settings from the DNGs. I have changed the preference setting in catalog to write changes to xmp but the xmps don't seem to be copying the develop over. Can I force an xmp write/export? Otherwise I can copy and paste develop settings individually but this is a little cumbersome with 700 files!!!

Cheers,

Andy

• 6. Re: Problems reading xmp data into dng files
                    areohbee Level 5

Moominman wrote:

Can't find a way of exporting the whole set of xmps with develop settings from the DNGs.

Hmm - you lost me.

Where are the settings stored that you want applied to the raw files - catalog (for DNGs), xmp sidecar?, xmp embedded in DNG?

What are the filenames for all relevant files - can you post a sample screenshot? Are raws and DNGs both in the catalog? Do they have the same base filename?

The solution will be simple as soon as the problem is well understood, however I still don't understand exactly what we're dealing with here.

Rob

• 7. Re: Problems reading xmp data into dng files
                      Moominman Level 1

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay, been rather busy recently! Anyway, I am basically trying to export xmp files from a set of low resolution dng files so that I can access my Lightroom edits in the RAW files. I have separated the RAW and dng files in different folders

Andy

• 8. Re: Problems reading xmp data into dng files
                        areohbee Level 5

Moominman wrote:

I am basically trying to export xmp files from a set of low resolution dng files so that I can access my Lightroom edits in the RAW files. I have separated the RAW and dng files in different folders

Hi Andy,

I dunno how best to get extracted xmp files into the raw folders, but if you are comfortable with exiftool, you can use it to extract xmp sidecars from DNG files.

If you want a turn-key solution which does not required you to futz with exiftool, then consider a free plugin I wrote:

robcole.com - xEmP

It will allow you to create xmp sidecars with all your DNG adjustments and metadata (which can then be applied to the non-dng raw files).

However, if you won't need the DNGs in your catalog afterward, then the easiest way is to convert them back to proprietary raw format using this plugin (also free, and I wrote it):

robcole.com - UnDNG

Conceptually, you can think of it as converting the DNGs to proprietary raw format, but note: it doesn't convert anything, it just allows existing raw files that are NOT in the catalog, to replace the DNGs that are in the catalog. All adjustments and metadata and everything else will be preserved (just like when you convert a proprietary raw to DNG format).

Rob