2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 6:46 AM by Rick Gerard

Multiproccesing isn't working [After Effects cc 2014]

RaZZeR

I discovered that i could process my after effects videos  much faster than now (50 minutes for a 8 second video) so i enabled multiproccesing and everything was okay but when i want to process a video, the video wouldn't process, i thought that after effects crashed or something so i closed it, i tried again later, the same so i decided to wait, 2 hours and that wasn't proccesing, i have 8 cpu's.

Anyone knows what is going on? I also get a error message when i click "stop".

08b6a3a929f50e9b87184ec934053d92.png864b73d402ccf8feeb50bfd6ec769c90.png9d9fa9b46ef953bea277b3834a237d92.pnge87a6c10fcdedd9e2ca3f142a651f17e.png74f294ecea2bfe44ab9277543ad48711.png

• 1. Re: Multiproccesing isn't working [After Effects cc 2014]
          RaZZeR Level 1

9)The error sign says "Proccesing error when writting the file C:\\Users\René\Documents\its over 9000 OCE.mov". Error in the output module. The file may be damage. (-1610153464)

• 2. Re: Multiproccesing isn't working [After Effects cc 2014]
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have several things going on here. First, not all effects are compatible with MP rendering. Second, you have not left any CPU's for other apps. You can't do that and have AE work successfully. Third, you are rendering an h.264 compression in a Quicktime Container which is definitely not recommended and most definitely not multi processor compatible. In fact if you want a movie in the h.264 container you should only be using the Adobe Media Encoder. MP, or rather Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously, is a work in progress. It is much better than it was when first introduced. Hopefully, it will be much better in the next release, but for now follow the recommendations below.

• Some video codecs will not work with multi processing enabled because they render one frame at a time and cannot move on to the next frame until that frame is completed. IOW, some codecs must work linearly.
            • For an effect to work with Render Multiple Frames simultaneously turned on the effect must be coded in a way that will take advantage of that process. If it is not, then turning MP on will either slow things way down or cause a failure.
            • Temporal effects (changes in time or changes over time) that involve referring to a previous frame for calculations for the next frame may or may not work with MP turned on. It depends on how the temporal effect was coded
            • The codecs for some source footage do not respond well or even at all to MP processing
            • If turning MP on for a complex composition with more than simple transformation (position, rotation, scale and opacity) changes slows the processing down or causes a failure then an effect or, the codec used by source footage, or the codec you have chosen to render to, are not compatible with MP rendering

If MP is slow or failing the first thing you should do is to make sure that adequate memory is assigned to other apps, that you have at least 2 CPU's assigned to other apps, and that the total number of CPU's assigned equals the total number of CPU's available. If you are still having problems try rendering to an Image Sequence (jpeg, tiff, png). If that does not help, try turning off effects one at a time until you find the effect that is not MP compatible.

I only use MP rendering for projects that I know will respond well. For some projects I don't even try. Nearly all of my renders are done directly in the Adobe Media Encoder because I don't have the time to sit around and not be working on a project while things are getting rendered. A project is either ready for a motion test or for final render and it is sent to the AME, then I immediately start or open another project and get to work while AME is churning out my test renders or my final deliverables.

1 person found this helpful