10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 7:06 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall

mail@kinshippartners

I am running Premiere Elements 9 and it is very hard to edit anything because you move the location curser it leaves lines on the project.  I have attached a picture so you can see what I mean.  I have uninstalled and reinstall twice and it is still doing it. We are a small non-profit and the organization that we purchase our software from is currently out of the new Premiere Elements 12 so I really need to get this working.  Please help!

Premiere Elements 9 Error.png

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mail

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? And, are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program? If not, please do so using the Adobe link for assumed Windows...

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

When was the last time you worked with the program without issue?

At this time, if you open a new project, is the Timeline issue present?

Could you expand your Timeline content to the maximum Zoom In with the Zoom Out - Zoom In Slider above the Timeline?

I would like to see what those lines look like expanded in the area of the 28 to 32 seconds mark (00:00;28;00 to 00;00;32;00).

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mail

Still assuming a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer...

Add On...Also look at deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not work, delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall
              mail@kinshippartners Level 1

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? And, are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program? If not, please do so using the Adobe link for assumed Windows...

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

I had the update in there and it still was doing it.

When was the last time you worked with the program without issue? - been about 6 months

At this time, if you open a new project, is the Timeline issue present? - NO

Could you expand your Timeline content to the maximum Zoom In with the Zoom Out - Zoom In Slider above the Timeline?

I would like to see what those lines look like expanded in the area of the 28 to 32 seconds mark (00:00;28;00 to 00;00;32;00).Premiere Elements 9 Error2.png

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall

I will wait for your reply before I try to uninstall again. 

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mail

Quick questions

a. In screenshot in post numbered 3, what happens if you right click one of the lines and hit Delete?

b. What does the Sceneline workspace Filmstrip look like when the corresponding Timeline workspace Timeline presents as it does with those lines?

c. What happens to the Timeline workspace Timeline view when you hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard to render the Timeline content (red to green and still the lines)?

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall

a. In screenshot in post numbered 3, what happens if you right click one of the lines and hit Delete? - Nothing.  I need to explain that the lines come as you are moving the location line in the timeline.  They are not there until you try and do anything in the timeline.

b. What does the Sceneline workspace Filmstrip look like when the corresponding Timeline workspace Timeline presents as it does with those lines? Normal

c. What happens to the Timeline workspace Timeline view when you hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard to render the Timeline content (red to green and still the lines)?

See the fun stuff it gave me after rendering.  I duplicated the lines above. 

Premiere Elements 9 Error3.png

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mail

Thanks for the further details. I have not seen that specific syndrome previous. But, Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 was always known for its display issues more so than other versions. Why the Timeline and not the Sceneline workspace clouds the situation somewhat.

Things to explore:

Delete of the Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 settings file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. And, if that does not work, then delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. I am not sure of the path since I do not have Windows 7 32 bit. I am not sure if the path will fall into a XP or 7 scheme. In Windows 7 64 bit, the path is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the  9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. And, if that does not work, you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Next, I would like you to delete the BadDrivers.txt file. In Windows 7 64 bit, the path is:

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in this 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

If that does not work, then it is time for the deactivating the program from within an opened project's Help Menu/Deactivate. Close out of there.

Uninstall via the usual Control Panel/Programs route. Free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - Download

Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Please let me know if we have to look deeper for the location of the mentioned files in your specific computer operating system.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...The answer may turn out to be a new project and starting again, but we will try to salvage this project.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall

Had a long weekend but when I got back to work today I did everything you asked above and still no luck.  I event tried opening a new project and it is still doing it. 

So frustrating.  I don't know what else I can do  

If you uninstall everything and delete files I don't understand why it is not working.

I do appreciate that you are trying to help me.  If our non-profit had the money I would just have them purchase a new program but unfortunately that is not possible. 

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Corrupt - How to completely uninstall and reinstall
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mail

Do not give up.

Recently we had a thread where the Premiere Elements user was getting trails with movement of windows and such. And, not so long ago, we were involved in another thread where the user had similar and worse display issues. This Premiere Elements user was using Windows 7, do not recall now if it was 32 or 64 bit. In the end the core was a conflict between Premiere Elements and one of the Windows 7 High Contrast Themes.

But, the Windows 7 High Contrast Themes fix did not work to resolve the problems of this more recent case. But, the core here turned out to be one of the Windows 7 themes - the Windows 7 Basic. The answer was to use one of the Aero themes and remember to put a check mark next to "use visual styles on windows and buttons". Please see the details of TS520.

Cant resize the Premier program screen, When closing the program, it leaves pieces of the Premier program all over my desktop!! No questions in any forum cover this problem! I paid $100 for this?

It may be a stretch reaching out to this possibility, but worth a look.

Windows 7 Themes.JPG

The above is based on Windows 7 64 bit. I am not sure if Window 7 32 bit has the same Windows 7 themes setup.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR