6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 1:36 PM by areohbee

LR 5.6 catalog preview in library mode tooooo slow (smart previews and NAS)

ClausDuerr

Hello :-)

LR 5.6 is sooo slow when displaying the small preview icons in library mode.

have my data on NAS thru Ethernet.

catalog data is on SSD, smart previews are rendert.

if NAS in on, LR ignores the local smart previews and it takes about 30-60sec to display the pic icons for the page below.

if NAS is off, it´s done instantly.

haven´t found any way to tell LR that local smart previews should have priority for the job.

... or speed the whole process up by any other trick/setting etc

please help.

really wondering if the adobe guys really work with their own software - it´s so frustrating...

thanks Claus

hardware: i7 fast processor, 32GB ram, 2TB SSD...

lr smart.JPG

• 2. Re: LR 5.6 catalog preview in library mode tooooo slow (smart previews and NAS)
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR is working as designed.  When originals are available they are used, when they are not, then any available Smart Previews are used.  Smart Previews are smaller versions of photos so are not supposed to be used for final Detail work, just things that are applicable to wider areas like toning, spotting, cropping, etc.  But final exports or prints should be done with the detail photos visible.

The issue for you is that the originals are on a very slow drive connection that probably doesn't allow any caching so every byte has to be read every time.  Hopefully your camera raw cache is on an internal drive.

I'd suggest you get a 1 or more TB external USB/eSATA-attached drive that you can plug into the computer, directly.  I use this for all my LR work and it isn't too bad.

• 3. Re: LR 5.6 catalog preview in library mode tooooo slow (smart previews and NAS)
            ClausDuerr Level 1

thanks for your reply :-)

if this is intented, then the design is pretty bad.

at least an option for the user to choose would be helpful (and extremly easy to implement) - hope adobe reads this.

I discussed this issue (looking for solutions) the last days with quite some people and they are all frustated about this issue...

• 4. Re: LR 5.6 catalog preview in library mode tooooo slow (smart previews and NAS)
              areohbee Level 5

It seems to me you've got some kinda problem.

I mean, what Lr displays in Library, at least at first (regardless of whether smart previews are online / offline) is:

* Library previews from SSD (assuming they exist, even if not fresh).

Not:

* smart previews from SSD, nor

* photo files from NAS

In other words, when smart previews are online (i.e. original files are offline), it's displaying the library previews (which were built from either the smart previews or the original files, depending on which was online when they were last built). Granted, if smart previews are online, then rebuilt library previews use smart previews as source of image data.

But if you take smart previews offline (I mean put original files online), then Lightroom should display the same library previews. Yeah, if library previews need to be rebuilt, then the original photos will provide image data instead of smart previews.

OK, if library previews do NOT exist, then the thumbs will be gray at first, and will need to be built from scratch from whatever is online.

So, what you've shown is all gray thumbnails, which should only be the case if NO library previews have ever been built for those photos. Is that the case here? How so?

PS - Is your NAS really a "very slow" connection? Assuming you're using gigabit ethernet and not 802.11a, it should be just about as fast as a local or external disk, right?

Summary: Having smart previews on/off-line should make no difference whatsoever in intial preview display (unless NO library previews are available). what's online determines speed of rebuilding library previews, if said previews need to be rebuilt, but even then a NAS should be plenty fast (assuming it's not ancient, and is health..). So, if it's slow as molasses something is not playing nicely with something else. Either that or I'm full of hooey, but I don't think I am..

R

• 5. Re: LR 5.6 catalog preview in library mode tooooo slow (smart previews and NAS)
                ClausDuerr Level 1

Hi Rob

thanks for your answer :-)

NAS is on GigabitEthernet, Synology 1813+.

from my POV if there is rendered Smart-Previews available, it would make sense that the normal library previews are rendered locally on the SSD based on the smart-preview information instead of getting the information from the NAS GigE?

or at least the user should be able to choose.

if I have both smart and normal previews, I suppose this means double volume - right?

Claus

• 6. Re: LR 5.6 catalog preview in library mode tooooo slow (smart previews and NAS)
                  areohbee Level 5

ClausDuerr wrote:

if there is rendered Smart-Previews available, it would make sense that the normal library previews are rendered locally on the SSD based on the smart-preview information

As ssprengel was saying, Lightroom does not support that option - it auto-chooses original over smart-preview when available. BUT it shouldn't make very much difference, if everything is working properly! (which is why it's not an option).  The time to render an image is at least a second, or two, maybe several, and the time it takes to read the source file should be only a fraction of a second, from any well-oiled storage interface, including your NAS. Something in your setup is not copacetic if performance is dramatically degraded when images are coming from the NAS. Lotsa people doing it without such problems..

You can take images offline temporarily (forcing Lr to use the smart previews) if you want, until the core issue is resolved, but you shouldn't have to as a permanent solution.

Also, as ssprengel was saying, you can move images from NAS to external drive and presumably bypass the issue, but you shouldn't have to do that either - unless you can't get Lr & NAS to play happy together, unless I really don't understand what can be expected of that NAS: my understanding is that it should be pretty snappy.

Cheers,

Rob