5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 12:50 AM by jmlevy

Help to understand crash log

jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

One of our files crashes a few seconds after opening. I have tried to understand the crash log…

Crash log is here

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Help to understand crash log
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looks like there's something wrong with a footnote in the file. Have you tried the blind export to IDML?

• 2. Re: Help to understand crash log

Footnote? There is no footnote in this file (or it should not…) Our designers do not even know how to insert footnotes! I'll check the file again tomorrow (it's 9 PM here in Paris).

I did not try the blind export, because our workflow is based on an InDesign Server solution. I saw that there was a problem with the file because I was alerted by the InDesign server log indicating that it has crashed, and I decided to open the file on a client workstation.

Anyway, thanks for the help. BTW, on what line of the crash log did you see the footnote problem?

• 3. Re: Help to understand crash log
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It was trying to do something with optical kerning just before the crash, but I have no idea exactly what.

Could be a bad font or perhaps a corrupt style.

The footnote reference is on line 5, but I don't think it's significant.

• 4. Re: Help to understand crash log
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just suggested that from the log that it was trying to do something with a footnote. Since you say there are no footnotes in the file, I agree with Peter that is is something to do with a font. Do you have any special kerning set in the file?

• 5. Re: Help to understand crash log

Just rechecked the file this morning. Nothing unusual, some paragraph styles set with optical kerning, others with metric kerning. And since it is a page of a weekly magazine using the same fonts and styles than the other pages, it can't be a font problem. I suspect a corrupted text frame. Anyway, the file has been outputted so…

Thanks Larry and Peter.