1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 11:44 AM by Conrad C

Photoshop CC RAM Issue

macampbell_09 Level 1

At work we just installed Mavericks and Adobe CC on a bunch of iMacs, and Photoshop has an issue with RAM.

If you open Photoshop everything works fine but if you switch to the finder, it throws an error about RAM, this does NOT happen automatically when Photoshop is opened it is triggered, when switching to the Finder. 

The error message appears when one goes to open a file, or even when opening the About Photoshop tab at the top. How does Photoshop not have enough ram to open the About Photoshop dialogue box?

The error message:

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 1.37.07 PM.png

iMac Specs:

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 1.40.16 PM.png

It is old hardware I know 4GB is not alot, but we never had issues with CS6 is CC really that demanding? Also I have not tried this on any other version of OS X so I dont know if this just  a Mavericks issue or not.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC RAM Issue
          Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are two sides to this. It's possible that Photoshop CC might be more demanding, but it is also possible that Mavericks might be more demanding and not leaving as much RAM free for Photoshop as your older OS did. I don't know which is actually true, but if you still have any non-Mavericks Macs lying around, you might open up Activity Monitor on it and see how much RAM is available before you start Photoshop, and compare that to Mavericks. And yes, having only 4GB RAM doesn't leave a lot of margin.