4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2007 4:17 AM by garywpaul

Not opening PNG

garywpaul Level 5
      Why is it when I create a PNG file in fireworks and save it as such does it not open automatically with fireworks? Meaning that when I click on the icon it brings up the "Open with" box, and Fireworks is not an option. (not only is it not an option, but nothing happens with I search out Fireworks) How do I fix this? I realize this is more likely a windows problem, but it does not happen to any other file type, so I thought I might get the answer here.
        • 1. Re: Not opening PNG
          Level 1
          Hi Gary (assuming that it is your name, no?) :)

Anyways, I am not sure if I fully understand the nature of your problem not able to open your PNG file in Fireworks.

Which version of Fireworks are you working with?

Tell me what exactly steps did you save the PNG file, if you remember what steps. There are "two" kinds of PNG files that Fireworks works with. First one is native, raw PNG specifically formated for Fireworks' functionality purpose, I believe. The obvious 2nd format is PNG specifically designed for web PNG format, it is technically totally different from raw, native Fireworks PNG format.

Finally, I am not sure how or what caused the problem you are experiencing. It could be the case of corrupted PNG file, I don't know.

And also be sure to state the exact version of WIndows, too.

Thanks,
          Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: garywpaul
          Why is it when I create a PNG file in fireworks and save it as such does it not open automatically with fireworks? Meaning that when I click on the icon it brings up the "Open with" box, and Fireworks is not an option. (not only is it not an option, but nothing happens with I search out Fireworks) How do I fix this? I realize this is more likely a windows problem, but it does not happen to any other file type, so I thought I might get the answer here.

• 2. Re: Not opening PNG
            garywpaul Level 5
            You've already figured out my name...this should be easy.

Fireworks 8, Windows XP.

Im not really sure which type it saves as, it is when I just Save. It says Fireworks.PNG.

But when I create a file and save it, when I double click on the icon, Fireworks does not open or open the file. The Open With dialog box opens and does not list Fireworks as an option. If I save the same file as a jpg, Fireworks opens it fine. Does not make any sense that a PNG file is not automaically opened with Fireworks. And the Files will open if I go to "Open" in the Fireworks program, just not from icon, so it would seem the file is not corrupt.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Gary
            • 3. Re: Not opening PNG
              Level 7
              garywpaul wrote:
              > Why is it when I create a PNG file in fireworks and save it as such does it not
              > open automatically with fireworks? Meaning that when I click on the icon it
              > brings up the "Open with" box, and Fireworks is not an option. (not only is it
              > not an option, but nothing happens with I search out Fireworks) How do I fix
              > this? I realize this is more likely a windows problem, but it does not happen
              > to any other file type, so I thought I might get the answer here.
              >

garywpaul,

A reinstall of Fireworks might fix you up. If that doesn't work you
              would need to manually associate the file with Fireworks. Search for
              'associate a file with a program' in the Windows help file for directions.

SKB
              • 4. Re: Not opening PNG
                garywpaul Level 5
                Thank you both, I think I was able to fix it via the "associate a file with" approach. For some reason my "Open With" dialog box would not allow Fireworks to open these files, I had to write in the path...wierd.

But again, thank you both for your time and help.

Gary