4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 3:30 AM by ~IanB~

Exporting just edited pictures and keeping JPEG for the rest

TiredHornet

Hi,

I have edited a couple of RAWs in one collection. I'd like to export just the edited pictures (with my changes) to JPEG and use the camera processed JPEG jpegs for the rest. In don't want to develope all the RAWs, since for most pics the JPEGs are fine. Is there any simple way to do that from Lightroom 5?

TiredHornet

• 1. Re: Exporting just edited pictures and keeping JPEG for the rest
          areohbee Level 5

Yes. So, what is the problem? or is there one? (why not just do exactly what you said).

I mean, if the jpegs aren't imported yet, then you'll need to import them.

I guess I don't understand the issue or reason for the question - you can edit/export either raws or jpegs - your choice - I don't see where the "complexity" is..

• 2. Re: Exporting just edited pictures and keeping JPEG for the rest
            TiredHornet Level 1

Okay, I probably didn't explain this well enough. Both JPEGs and RAWs are imported by Lightroom by default, right? After I have developed some of the RAWs I'd like to export both developed RAWs and the camera processed JPEGs (that I can't see since they are sideloaded(?)) to new folder. So essentially I would like lightroom to export the processed RAWs as JPEGs to a new folder and copy the camera processed JPEGs into the same folder. I can export the pictures the same folder they are already in, but then I have to overwrite the original JPEGs. Is this any clearer?

• 3. Re: Exporting just edited pictures and keeping JPEG for the rest
              areohbee Level 5

TiredHornet wrote:

I can't see since they are sideloaded

Ah - I should have thought of that.

If your jpegs are being considered "sidecars" to the raws, then technically, they have not been imported. ("sidecar" means "not imported" but aware of it's existence, in case of move or rename..).

So, you need to:

* Change the Lr preference to have raws + jpegs treated separately.

To separate, consider using my (free) RawPlusJpeg plugin which has a feature especially for it.

robcole.com - RawPlusJpeg

I think you can also do it without the plugin, but I don't remember how - involves re-syncing the folder I think (after changing the Lr preference to treat separately).

Rob

• 4. Re: Exporting just edited pictures and keeping JPEG for the rest
                ~IanB~ Level 1

note. raw and the jpg copies are not imported as default

Rob has give the right answer; however you could make a separate folder for the jpg files  and then import. You will need to un-tick "don't import suspected duplicate" [right hand panel]

I have usually found when LR doesn't do as I want it's usually because I haven't done it right in the first place.