9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 8:11 AM by VeluVK

Find underline text

VeluVK Level 1

Hi,

1) How to find double underline (see colored text below) text in inDesign? I just flowed text from word document it comes with double underline. i need to replace with a separate style.

underline.JPG

2) Find underline contents in all tables and replace with the "underline" character style. Anyone having script for this?

Regards,

Velu

• 1. Re: Find underline text
          jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

You don't need any script. Just run a find and change.

• 2. Re: Find underline text
            VeluVK Level 1

Hi Levy,

It will find all occurrences (including text part), i need to find only on tables. Is there any option?

Regards,

Velu

• 3. Re: Find underline text
              jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

I did not understand that you wanted to find the underlined text only in the tables. Are they on the same article? (in threaded text frames). If so, you could choose to run the find change in the selected article.

• 4. Re: Find underline text
                VeluVK Level 1

Single underlined values should be single below rule. Double underlined values should be double rule below. (as per customer requirement).

untitled.JPG

Rules are comes only on values (no parenthesis), so we have defined rule in a paragraph style (not in table border, it will comes entire cell)

Regards,

Velu

• 5. Re: Find underline text
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If applying a character style, why would there be a problem applying it in all text that matches? Is there some other character style applied outside the tables?

And I'm a little confused by your last post. Are you saying that you currently use a paragraph style to add the underlines as rules in the cells, but you want the underline only below the digits, not full width? If that's the case, and that paragraph style is already assigned, redefine the paragraph style to use a GREP style to apply the underline to \d+[\d,]* or to \d+[\d,\.]* if there are cases with decimal points.

If you are trying to find that text which is already underlined, and replace the underline with a paragraph rule you can use the same expressions in find/change to locate the values (if there is underlined text outside the tables you can select the tables and limit the scope of the search to the selection, or perhaps apply a different paragraph style to that text).

• 6. Re: Find underline text
                    Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

I think you can limit the research to:

[\d,]+$

• 7. Re: Find underline text

You are requiring the number to be the end of a paragraph, and that's not always true (negative numbers in parentheses), so without that limitation you need to add the first digit outside the class or it will find commas in running text, and you want to be sure they are only being picked up when they are separators.

• 8. Re: Find underline text

I was thinking you could add a conditional close parenthesis, but if you are looking for underlined text that would break it since they are not underlined. There is also a potential here with either expression to pick up parts of a date or other number unintentionally, but again, if searching for underlined text that risk is mitigated.

• 9. Re: Find underline text
                          VeluVK Level 1

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Velu