5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2014 7:54 AM by RikkFlohr

Custom crop size inconsistencies

BillTheCat99

There is a group of us that use Lightroom to process and upload sports photos to a sports site. The site has changed its crop requirements to 3000 x 2216.  Some are having issues with being able to create and retain the custom values. For instance sometimes a person enters those values it seems to accept the new value for the current photo but subsequently the new crop value is not in the list of 5 custom values. We've tried entering it also as 3 x 2.216, same issue.

MY understanding from searching this forum is the new value should appear and 'push' the oldest value off the list. However in my experimentation that was inconsistent. For instance if I got 3 x 2.216 to be retained in the list, then entered 3 x 2.218, Lightroom would not retain the latter value.

Does anyone know of a consistent way to enter new custom crop values and have them retained?

thanks

• 1. Re: Custom crop size inconsistencies
          SausalitoDog Level 2

You don't mention the versions of LR you all are using. This applies in 5.6 but I don't know about any other.

when I entered your dimensions in inches in the custom crop category, it was there after using it and closing and reopening LR to crop another image. I don't have enough custom sizes saved to see if LR deletes the oldest, but why don't you delete all of your custom presets, close and reopen LR and try setting the 3x2.2 one you want...

Hope this works

tom

• 2. Re: Custom crop size inconsistencies
            BillTheCat99 Level 1

Tom,

Using LR 5.6 for Mac..can't speak for some of the other members of the group although as a whole I'd guess their LR is fairly up to date.  My understanding  from other research is there is no way through using LR to delete the other custom crops other than entering new ones.  Also the acceptance of new custom crops seemed to be inconsistent, sometimes it worked sometimes not.  At any rate I appreciate your response, I finally kicked my LR into submission and have my new custom crop value..:)

• 3. Re: Custom crop size inconsistencies
              SausalitoDog Level 2

Bill-

I did a bit more research and still could not come up with a note from adobe on how many custom crops you should be able to save or how to delete them.

I DID run across something I once knew but forgot and it might be helpful to you guys:

two shortcuts.... Shift+A will open crop tool to the last used dimensions and X will switch between portrait and landscape.

Might save you some time when you have a bunch to work...

cheers,

tom

• 4. Re: Custom crop size inconsistencies
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Explanation for your issue:

Re: Dimension size in LR4 with custom ratio

"So clearly the calculated precision is to three decimal places. The problem is that the replacement algorithm is only using two decimal places. If the new ratio has the same value as an existing custom ratio to two decimal places. then it uses that value and does not create a new custom ratio with the correct value."

• 5. Re: Custom crop size inconsistencies
                  RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

SausalitoDog wrote:

Bill-

I did a bit more research and still could not come up with a note from adobe on how many custom crops you should be able to save or how to delete them.

tom

Five is the maximum number of custom crops that Lightroom will remember. They cannot be deleted. If you enter a 6th, the 1st will be bumped out of the list.