6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 1:26 PM by A.T. Romano

How do you rejoin a split track?

canyouunderstandmyq

Many times I will have split a track in multiple places (most of the time because when I rearrange video/audio clips, it splits everything up until I'm left with little slivers to put back together - but I've asked about that in a different discussion), but want to do things that effect multiple pieces of the original track. Grouping won't allow you to do it. It only allows adjustment to a single selection.

How do you put humpty back together again? Simply to take two pieces and join them as if they were never split.

• 1. Re: How do you rejoin a split track?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

can

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

I am not sure if we are on the same wave length here, but here is what I believe is what you seek based on my interpretation of your question.

If you have cut your video files with the scissors tool or trimmed them in the Preview Window, you should be able to take any one of the trims and drag on its right and/or left edges at the Timeline level to recover the whole clip.

Have you been there and done that and is that applicable to your situation?

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do you rejoin a split track?
            canyouunderstandmyq Level 1

Premiere Elements 12 with windows 7.

Thanks for your quick response. That does work, but to get the specific length I had before, I have to tediously move one slice above and pull the end to the length I had before, delete the other half of the slice, then reinsert the original (now correct length) one. I'd like to be able to select the two clips and simply put them back together.

I'm really enjoying diving into this. Thanks for making my experience an even more positive one. I really appreciate your time.

A second question. Ice gotten annoyed, when working with a longer video, that every time I render it autoplays from the beginning forcing me to have to search through to find my place. I did find and deselect the "play work area after rendering previews" and that didn't work. Ugh.

Is there a setting it has to be on for this to apply?

• 3. Re: How do you rejoin a split track?

I understand my rendering problem. After I deselected it in the settings I didn't realize that it worked unless you don't have something to render. Let me restate that. If the program doesn't think it needs to render, it auto plays. When there is something to render, it does not. Weird, but I'm content to understand it.

• 4. Re: How do you rejoin a split track?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

can

Regarding post numbered 3....

I think that you are OK with that

a. Disable the preference, and, when you go to render the Timeline content, the Timeline content will not automatically play back the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor.

b. With the disabled preference and a Timeline content that is rendered already, you are going to get play back of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor

if you press the Enter key

Regarding post numbered 2

I'd like to be able to select the two clips and simply put them back together.

You could select both at the same time on the Timeline and then apply the Clip Menu/Group command to the selection. You can Ungroup later if you want.

If you want to make the Group permanent, you might selectively export the Grouped content to a file saved to the computer hard drive. To do that, in the Edit area, you would need to set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the Group AND also have a check mark next to Share Work Area Bar Only in the export settings.

More information if needed.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do you rejoin a split track?

Thanks again for your quick reply. Sorry mine wasn't as speedy. I just found your email in the junk mail. Not sure how it ended up there. Anyway, I'll try the exporting method. Have a great day!

• 6. Re: How do you rejoin a split track?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

can

If you need any supplemental information on the selective export of Timeline content, please let me know. The keys are

a. In the Edit area, setting the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span the only Timeline content to be exported

and

b. In the Export area, having a check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" option in the export settings.

You need a and b to get that to work.

Looking forward to learning of your progress when you get the chance.

Best wishes

ATR