2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2007 6:01 AM by becmar

Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem.

SS_isadmin
      I'm seeing few other posts on this subject and am losing my hair so here goes. Using Contribute 3 for my clients to update files while our CMS provider users Dreamweaver 8. As of about two weeks ago we all started having difficulties updating pages. We're able to access the page, select edit and make changes. When we hit Publish we get "Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem." We ack the error and select cancel on the edit page, the page is changed like we wanted to and we have to delete the draft.
      Using an SFTP program I can access the page files, make files and delete them with no problem so this leads me to think Contribute or Dreamweaver have beaten up something in there. The machine I'm using DOESN'T have IE7 (IE6) so that's not a path I can go down unless another machine has written something to the Contribute files on the web server.
      Whew, that's a long one but I think this really needs to be addressed. Any ideas? Even Frontpage is starting to look good...
        • 1. Re: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem.
          lukaro
          Hi

I don't know the exact solution to your problem, but I want to make some suggestions.

I believe that permissions are controlled by an entry in the _mm folder that is created in the root of your site when you first establish a Contribute connection. I am wondering if when the other party set up Dreamweaver 8 to edit the site, they could have overwritten the information contained within the _mm folder, and therefore the Contribute users are no longer recognised as being in the correct role to be able to edit the site.

It is worth further investigation as to where contribute stores user permission data and how you can manually reestablish that info.

Rgds

lukaro
          • 2. Re: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem.
            becmar
            I have had this problem for the last two weeks, and yesterday I FINALLY figured out the problem... I'd run out of storage space on my website's server!! SUCH an easy fix. Delete some large files and see if that helps you. I have zero problems now. I swear I'm like a new woman.