3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 7:49 PM by A.T. Romano

Import reported a generic error

Zeifly Level 1

Hello again adobe forums. First things first, I am trying to import some mp4s into Adobe premiere elements. However, when I go to add media, files and folders, and open the file, it says, "Import reported a generic error." Can someone please help me with this. Now for the specs of my computer:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Adobe PE: premiere elements 12

Files importing: MP4 format

(Could this problem be due to the fact that the MP4s were converted from AVI format?)

I believe that's everything. If you need any more information, just let me know.

• 1. Re: Import reported a generic error
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Zeifly

Thanks for the background information - Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Did you update from 12 to 12.1 Update yet? If not, please do so using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

In view of your error, the missing ingredient in your details is the properties of your source media...

a. what was the brand/model/setting of the camera that recorded this video

b. what project preset was set by you or the project to match the properties of the source media

But, let me backup a little...what was the path of the video, from origin until the moment that you received the Premiere Elements importer error?

a. You seem to say that this file started out as an .avi file...what video compression, what recorded this video and with what settings.

b. What was the converter to get this .avi to .mp4...what video compression for this .mp4 along with its other properties.

c. How did you import the file into the Premiere Elements project...Expert workspace, Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets/Expert workspace

Timeline or something else?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Import reported a generic error
            Zeifly Level 1

Okay, so, the camera I used to record was a Kodak easyshare camera. I'm not sure what the project preset is. Where would I find it? Okay, so I used the Kodak camera to record the video. Then I transferred the SD card to another camera and used that camera to put it on my mum's computer. From there, I transferred it to a USB drive and then over to my computer. At which point I ran it through my AVI to MP4 converter. After that I tried to import it to Adobe and got the error. ummm...i'm not really sure what video compression the file started as. The converter I used is the instructions from this thread: Can't get PPro to accept video file. To import the file into PE, I went to Expert Workspace,Add Media/Files and Folder/Desktop/Zax's Stuff and then double clicked on the MP4. I hope this helps

• 3. Re: Import reported a generic error
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Zeifly

Thanks for the reply.

You can determine what project preset is set by checking the  readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. But in this case that is neither here nor there. H.264.avi is just not compatible with Premiere Elements.

Kodak Easyshare is probably recording H.264.avi which is not compatible with Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro.

I was not aware which converter would do the conversion. That Colin ID is well respected, and I would expect a top level response from

that user. But, the punch line may be what Colin wrote in conclusion....

The MP4s will correctly import into Premiere Pro.

.mp4 is just a file extension and not sure what you really brought in as the video compression. And, this is not Premiere Pro.

Also, there is the question if your problem with the converted product went to Colin's method or the way you executed it. Have you tried to repeat the conversion and import of the .mp4 into Premiere Elements?

Please download and install the free codec utility named GSpot, and let us get a readout for Video codec, name, status.  GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Does your Kodak shoot anything other than H.264.avi?

ATR