6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2014 4:13 AM by Bart Van de Wiele

Find/Change object size width

nAru Level 1

Hi guys,

So this is the problem:

I have over 900 pages long catalog and I made a little changes to a textframe options and other object styles, but bottomline is that now I have to change all the textframes width to 62 mm (its now 61 mm). I have tried the Find/Change "Object" options, but I just can't find the right way to do it. Is it even possible to do it with the Find/Change Object? I have to change over 6000 textframes manually if this dosen't work :/

Do I have to do this with Grep scripting and how is that possbile if I have to do it with it?

object_resize.jpg

Thanks beforehand if you reply to this problem!

• 1. Re: Find/Change object size width
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It cannot be done using Find/Change, which can only change formatting, not dimensions.

It might be possible to do with scripting (ask over in  InDesign Scripting ) if there is a way to uniquely identify the frames you want to change, such as they all have a the same width now, and that width is not shared by any other frame, or they all use a unique object style not used by other frames.

• 2. Re: Find/Change object size width
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Peter,

If his problem is only because a little part of text is missing, maybe globally play on a fine kerning in the para style will suffice to fix the issue! 

• 3. Re: Find/Change object size width
              Bart Van de Wiele Level 3

There is only one thing you can do with the native InDesign tools. Are you using any styles?

You can take one of your text frames, go to Text Frame Options and set the Columns to Fixed Width and type in 61.

Now you can apply this Object Style to any text frame to make it resize to 61 in width. Later you can even change this globally for all frames!

• 4. Re: Find/Change object size width
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Now that's a good solution, presuming each text frame object style has its own width requirement.

• 5. Re: Find/Change object size width
                  nAru Level 1

Ha!

I found the solution(ish), basically it's possible to change object dimensions with the "Find/Change Object". Thanks Bart Van de Wiele for the "Columns Fixed width" tip.

1. ."Find Object Format" -> What kind of "Object style" you are looking for and then put "Text Frame Options" -> Width (exp. 55 mm)
                  2. "Change Object Format" -> go to "Text Frame General Options" -> "Columns: Fixed width" -> width (exp. 56 mm, I have 3 mm inset spacing left&right so 56 + 6 is 62 mm).
                  3. Change the desired textframes, BUT THEN you have this kind of problem where you can not change the textframes width sizes because they are "fixed sized".
                  4. Click one of the changed textframes and go to "Style options" where you get that "+" -sign. Click in the options "Clear overrides".
                  5. Now you have changed the all desired textframes and you can change the width too.

object_fixed.jpg

• 6. Re: Find/Change object size width
                    Bart Van de Wiele Level 3

Glad that helped !