25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 9:17 AM by AnneMarie Concepcion

Images not showing in epub file

annegraphics Level 1

I'm exporting from InDesign to epub, and some of the images aren't showing up in the epub file. All images are anchored, jpeg, RGB or b&w and 150dpi or less. Whether they show or not appears to be random, although each time I try to export it appears to be the same images not showing (at least at the beginning of the book). I've tried opening the epub in iBooks and ADE on my computer, and in Bluefire Reader on my iPad and iPhone. One that's not showing up anywhere else is showing up distorted on the iPhone, and in the wrong place. At least one's showing up distorted in ADE. It doesn't seem to matter what I tick in the images section of the export file. I've tried both CC and CC 2014 (using reflowable format).

This is a 288 page book that is very image heavy.

• 1. Re: Images not showing in epub file
          Derek Cross Level 6

Try using the IDPF validator to see what issues it states: EPUB Validator (beta)

• 2. Re: Images not showing in epub file
            annegraphics Level 1

The file is over 30mb in size, and they have a 10mb limit. I was wondering if size could be an issue, but don't know how to reduce the finished size except by reducing the image size for each image.

• 3. Re: Images not showing in epub file
              Derek Cross Level 6

Looks as if you'll have to reduce the size/compression/ppi of the pics. You can do this quickly to all the images in an Images folder at once using Photoshop: File > Scripts > Image Processor

• 4. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                annegraphics Level 1

Thanks for the info. I've reduced the file size by removing the title images at the start of each chapter, and compressed the images, which (thankfully) got the file size under 10mb, so I was able to use the EPUB Validator (beta). The only issue it came up with was that file names had spaces. I deleted the spaces and relinked all images, reran the check. It found no problems, however the images still aren't showing up. I had a quick look through the whole epub, and of approximately 100 images, I have less than 25 showing.

• 5. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                  Derek Cross Level 6

1) How are you viewing the ePub - have you viewed it on an ePub device?

2) You can use something like  eCanCrusher: eCanCrusher | DocDataFlow  to open the ePub and then you can check that all the images are in the Image folder.

• 6. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                    Ellis home Level 4

For the future when you need to check ePubs more than 10 MB you can use: pagina GmbH Publikationstechnologien: EPUB-Checker. Sigil is also a good tool to check inside the ePub: sigil - The EPUB Editor - Google Project Hosting

• 7. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                      annegraphics Level 1

Derek,

1) I've been looking at it on my computer, but the first time this happened I did try to view it on my mobile (iPhone) and iPad in Bluefire Reader as well as iBooks, and the same thing happened. I've just downloaded them to both devices, and, in Bluefire Reader, the 'missing images' are coming up distorted, cropped and at the bottom of the page (behind text in most instances) instead of inline. There is a vacant space where the image is supposed to be. When exporting I set the image to start on the next page, so they should be at the top of the page not the bottom. In iBooks on the iPad, I've still got the original problem of images not showing at all.

2) I downloaded the app and checked it out, and all the images are there. I checked it against the original file, and both show 104 items in the folder.

The client wants to sell the book via Amazon for use on a Kindle device, as well as inhouse in epub format, so I need to get this right before I send him the final version.

• 8. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                        annegraphics Level 1

Thank you - I've bookmarked both sites. The only issue in pagina was that the date string didn't match integer values. Everything else, ie actual content of the epub, is fine.

• 9. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                          Derek Cross Level 6

Hi Anne

I wouldn't use Sigil myself. Perhaps you should go back to basics. You seem to be formatting your ePub incorrectly somewhere. I suggest you create a short document of say 16 pages, set it up afresh, using similar chapter headings, subheadings and text paragraph styles as the original, inserting the images inline, trying out the various Anchored Objects Options as so on. Keep testing the output using the IDPF Validator and viewing the ePub on the iBooks reader (if you’re using a Mac). You’ll then discover the various ways of formatting the book to get the effect you want. It might also be an idea take an online course, such as: http://www.lynda.com/EPUB-tutorials/InDesign-CC-EPUB-Fundamentals/143324-2.html?srchtrk=in dex:1%0Alinktypeid:2%0Aq:epub%0Apage:1%0As:relevance%0Asa:true%0Aproducttypeid:2

this course will also help you learn how to convert an ePub file to a mobi file for use on the Kindle.

Derek

• 10. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                            annegraphics Level 1

Thanks for all the help Derek. I've now tried creating it as a fixed layout epub, however that poses its own problems, as I don't seem to be able to create the TOC (and with 33 chapters, plus foreword, preface, acknowledgements, two indices, etc that's important), and the hyperlinks to the endnotes don't work (over 500 of them in the document), so I think the reflowable option is best. I'm following up with my client, and if I have to recreate the whole version with images I will. As I've used the same process for including all images in the document, why only 1 in 5 were showing up is what is puzzling me.

Thanks also for the advice re the online course. I'll certainly follow that up.

• 11. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                              Derek Cross Level 6

Yeah fixed layout does have it's own issues.

Let us know how you get on with discovering what went wrong with the images in your reflowable ePub . This is new technology and we're all learning!

Derek

• 12. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi anne,

Could you please share your book with me? I would like to see what's going wrong in your case. You can upload the book to dropbox and share the link with me: pja@adobe.com. Are you using Use Existing Image setting either through Object Export Options or via Export dialog by any chance?

You can also try opening the same file in Readium and see if it works. ADE has come up with latest update, are you using ADE4 or older version? I would recommend you to try out newer version and let me know if the problem is still there.

Regards,

Pooja

• 13. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                  annegraphics Level 1

Thanks Pooja.

I've shared the dropbox link with you.

I've been using Use Existing Image setting, and I've asked to insert a page break before image.

I've just updated to ADE4, and am still having the same issues, along with paragraph styles (chapters starting on new page) not being recognised, as chapters are flowing and not starting on the next page.

With the new version, many of the images are showing in part, but as they aren't starting on a new page, I don't get the full image, and in the case of photos of people, this isn't good! The first image to show the issue is at the end of chapter 1. The image starts at the bottom of one page (on my computer), and space is left before the caption on the next page for the image to show in full.

I haven't tried Readium, especially as the client wants it possible to read the book on all devices, and most people who use iPads etc would use iBooks. Once I get the epub worked out, I'll also be making it into a mobi file so he can sell the ebook for Kindle.

I appreciate the help you're offering.

Regards,

Anne

• 14. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                    pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Anne,

Thanks for sharing! I could see the EPUB uploaded but not the InDesign Book. Please upload the book as well.

Regards,

Pooja

• 15. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                      annegraphics Level 1

Hi Pooja,

I'm currently uploading the InDesign book and links (I wasn't sure if you'd need them or not). This shouldn't take long. My apologies for not doing this earlier.

As this is the version designed for epub, it looks awful in InDesign - please don't take it as a sample of my design work, as the print version looks great!

Regards,

Anne

• 16. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                        pooja2087 Adobe Employee

I looked at your file. The document looks like a production document and not a sample one

I opened the EPUB exported from this document in iBooks (on Mac 10.9) and all the images appear fine. Is it some specific image you are not seeing or is happening with all the images in your case?

Also, please check the same EPUB in the latest version ADE 4 and let me know the exact images which are not showing up.

Regards,

Pooja

• 17. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                          pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Anne,

Do you have any update on this? Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Pooja

• 18. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                            annegraphics Level 1

Hi Pooja,

My apologies - I'm working on something else with a shorter deadline at the moment, along with recovering from being sick last week. I hope to get to it tomorrow and will let you know further after that. I do seem to have had the issues since upgrading to 10.9.4, although it could also be as I only did a short trial version before the upgrade. However, more details to follow (sorry, but I have to get something to print by tomorrow).

Regards and thanks,

Anne

• 19. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                              pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Sure Anne! Let me know once you verify this at your end.

Get well soon and take care.

Regards,

Pooja

• 20. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                                annegraphics Level 1

Hi Derek,

In case you're not still following the discussion, I thought I'd reply directly. After upgrading both my OS and to CC 2014, the images stopped showing. However' I'd placed them as anchored objects rather than inline, so went back and placed them all inline, and now it seems to be working (in iBooks at least).

Lesson learned!

Anne

• 21. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                                  Derek Cross Level 6

Hi Anne

That's marvellous, thanks for letting us know. But I wonder why anchored objects didn't show and inline did – Pooja and thoughts?

Derek

• 22. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                                    pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi everyone,

When Images are exported with Use Existing Image setting, we use the original image and use webkit transforms to fit that image in the container. We had seen issues with iBooks not supporting this mark-up but images appeared fine on Readium in the same case. That's why my first question was on the readers you all are trying with.

In case of inline images, we rasterise the image even if Use Existing Image setting is used and hence the problem is not seen here. To keep image as inline, we can't use div tags (it is a block level tag and image won't be inline in this case) and hence all the transforms cannot be applied so we rasterise the images in this case always.

Hope this cleared your query.

Regards,

Pooja

• 23. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                                      annegraphics Level 1

Thanks for the info. In future I'll know to place them inline! And many thanks to everyone for your input and help in trying to sort this out for me. Both my client and I appreciate it.

Regards,

Anne

• 24. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                                        Dude633 Level 1

SOLVED.  The problem is image files that have spaces in the file name.  Rename your image files to replace the space with a dash, then relink the image in inDesign and the problem will go away.

I discovered this when I had three images that did not appear in an EPUB.  I changed the .EPUB extension to .ZIP then looked inside the EPUB file, and lo and behold, then three images that were causing trouble had spaces in the file name, the others did not.  Following the procedure above fixed the problem.

spaces.JPG

• 25. Re: Images not showing in epub file
                                                          AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

InDesign CCx will replace spaces in image filenames with underscores automatically on export. Same for style names (it uses hyphens).

I don't recall, but it may be that in earlier versions, it didn't. I can tell you're using an earlier version of InDesign because the images have the _fmt appended to the filename, and ID doesn't do that anymore. But congrats for diagnosing and solving the problem, anyhoo! ;-)

AM