7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 6:51 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign 5.5 for pc repeatedly crashes on launch.

MusaGrafica

Hi,

This morning I launched InDesign as usual, but moments after the home screen appeared, I got an error message which said 'Adobe InDesign CS5.5 has stopped working.' The application then closed. This has happened repeatedly despite numerous attempts to rectify the problem.

I have tried:

-  Deleting the RecoveryData and DBSharing files from the InDesign Recovery Caches

- Trashing the Preferences

- Restarting

- Clearing the SING datastore folder

- Removing the SING component

- Using Extensis Doctor to check and identify bad fonts (Bradley Gratis and Univox removed, to no avail).

I am using Adobe CS 5.5 on a pc using Windows 7 Home Premium Edition. It's using a 64 bit operating system, has plenty of memory and is running generally well. I've had this issue with InDesign over the last few years but usually deleting the recovery data and trashing the prefs fixes it. I've never had it simply lock me out before. Apologies in advance - I am a first-time poster so forgive me if I have failed to include anything important. Here is a screen grab of the message. Thankyou.

InD 5.5 Crash message.jpg

• 1. Re: InDesign 5.5 for pc repeatedly crashes on launch.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Kudos on the things you tried, that's where I would start, too. I'd also try logging on with a different user account and see if that works.

What has changed on the system since the last time you successfully started? System Restore might be the next thing to try.

Also you mentioned Extensis Doctor, so I'm going  to presume you also have a font auto-activation plugin of some sort installed, so you should try disabling it, or even removing it entirely at least temporarily.

• 2. Re: InDesign 5.5 for pc repeatedly crashes on launch.
            MusaGrafica Level 1

Dear Peter,

Many thanks for your fast reply and your suggestions.

I tried my other user account with no luck, and then System Restore. It logged two Windows updates from last week, including one 'critical' one. (I have noticed an increased rate of issues and InDesign problems immediately after the bigger updates, but never to this scale.)

There was also two Microsoft Visual C++ updates logged.

In the end, out of sheer frustration coupled with time constraint, I did a complete reinstall of Creative Suite. Fortunately so far, all seems to be running smoothly, although I am curious to know what caused the trouble in the first place!

Many thanks once again for your help, and best wishes,

Ali

• 3. Re: InDesign 5.5 for pc repeatedly crashes on launch.

My guess would be the Visual C++ update, but it's just a guess.

System restore might have saved you the trouble of a reinstall. I've seen cases where going back and letting Windows reinstall the patches works and it's easier than reinstalling ID.

• 4. Re: InDesign 5.5 for pc repeatedly crashes on launch.
                MusaGrafica Level 1

Hi Peter,

Yes, agreed. I did try System restore but it was unable to complete the restore even though I tried several different points in time, which was worrying. I'd tried to take it back to the beginning of last week, before the updates. That was the point when the complete reinstall looked like the best solution.

I'd always suspected the Window's updates but if your suspicion is the Visual C++ update, I will remember should this issue crop up again. Something to read up on I think!

Thanks again for your help,

Ali

• 5. Re: InDesign 5.5 for pc repeatedly crashes on launch.

Well it certainly sounds like you have a handle on Windows troubleshooting, and it seems like it's always when you need it the most that Ssytem Restore decides not to work. I would have done exactly the same under the circumstances.

The reason I singled out the Visual C++ update is that Adobe products use the various Visual C++ Redistibutable packages (VCRxx.dll) and they might have been overwritten.

• 6. Re: InDesign 5.5 for pc repeatedly crashes on launch.
                    MusaGrafica Level 1

Hmm, not so much a troubleshooting whizz as frantically combing Google for possible solutions .

I'm glad you mentioned system restore deciding not to work - I was afraid it was yet another instance of things being wrong. Worth investigating, or just one of those things?

Your mention of the Visual C++ update was interesting. I am definitely not technically minded, and it's extremely helpful to be pointed in the right direction. Interesting to uncover potential culprits. I will be keeping a very close eye on InDesign and CS generally in any future instances of these updates, any new developments I will be back here straight away!

• 7. Re: InDesign 5.5 for pc repeatedly crashes on launch.

Windows 7 is a lot more reliable than XP was (system restore NEVER worked on XP when you really needed it), but it's not unusual to get a failure. I wish I could tell you why.