4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2014 3:39 PM by ryclark RSS

Insert a part of clip,  over an other clip

Blues14

I hope I don't ask something stupid. But in the tutorials a lot of things are explained, but not this specific question:

There is a clip with a certain length. Now I would like to "overlay" a small piece of an other clip on that the first clip.

When I "overlay" the small clip, the first clip should be divided automatically on the beginning and the end of the overlaid clip, so that it is possible to fade in and out the overlaid clip.

On the same time, the original part of the first clip, which will be replaced by the overlaid clip, shall be deleted.

Editing in multitrack view, again a question in relation with editing of classical music.

• 1. Re: Insert a part of clip,  over an other clip
          _durin_ Adobe Employee

If I understand correctly, there are a few method of accomplishing this.  Audition will automatically place crossfades when two clips overlap, or you can create crossfades manually, with clips on multiple tracks.  So if you start with something like this:

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.53.57 AM.png

You can either create the crossfades by hand:

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.54.15 AM.png

Or move the clip onto the same track, overlapping the ends of the other clips:

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.54.42 AM.png

If you are trying to drop a single clip on top of another clip, this works as well, however, crossfades aren't automatically created.

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.55.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.55.07 AM.png

You can add crossfades to the top clip:

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.55.20 AM.png

But you'll also need to modify a global preference, "Play overlapped portions of clips," that allows overlapped clips to be audible.  (It is off by default.)

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.55.37 AM.png

• 2. Re: Insert a part of clip,  over an other clip
            Blues14 Community Member

Thanks a lot! What I'm was looking for is this:

You can add crossfades to the top clip:

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.55.20 AM.png

But as you say, the crossfade I have to do manually. Ok, sade, but good to know, not to have missed something.

In this situation it occurs often the problem, that if the long Clip is selected, the small clip disappear behind the long clip. How can I get the small clip again visible, so it's not anymore hidden behind the long one?

• 3. Re: Insert a part of clip,  over an other clip
              _durin_ Adobe Employee

Right-click on the top clip and select "Send Clip to Back"

• 4. Re: Insert a part of clip,  over an other clip
                ryclark Community Member

Also it might make it easier if you Split the long clip (like in Durin's first image). You can do this by either using the Razor tool or the Ctrl+K shortcut.  Then you can move the ends apart where the inserted clip is going to go. Audition will then do the crossfades automatically when you move the insert clip over the split clip. The crossfade length will depend on how much overlap that you leave.