9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2014 7:22 PM by D.A.R

Catalog back up

BRIJAN

I am a (windows Vista) Lightroom 3 user that would appreciate any suggestions you might have with the following issues. When I look at my Catalog Settings folder I find that most of the backups were around 160  MB however the oldest one 2012-03-19 1935 is 5.4GB.

I am in the process of clearing out older versions of the backups however I am very concerned about deleting this file and would appreciate your advice.

• 1. Re: Catalog back up
          dj_paige Level 9

You didn't say how you were making these backups, what software, what options?

Anyway, if it truly is a backup of a catalog file, you can double-click on it to open it in Lightroom and see if you need this catalog or not.

• 2. Re: Catalog back up
            D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Is the folder measuring 5.4GB or the catalog file? If its the folder then I suspect you have a previews file in there too.

If its just the catalog file I would be interested in knowing how it got so large.

I dont recall but perhaps back then the backup was in fact including previews albeit not in a separate file.

• 3. Re: Catalog back up
              BRIJAN Level 1

The backup was made in Lightroom 3 when exiting the program each day.

I do not think I need this backup because most of the info I have says that users usually only keep about 4 copies of their catalog backups. I had recently deleted a large number of these backups but had stopped at this one.

The concern that I have is the size of this one backup 5.4 GB and all of the others are around 1.6+ MB. In addition will I be loosing any of my catalog information.

The info can be found on my computer when you select EDIT - CATALOG SETTINGS and then SHOW:

C:\USERS\BRIAN\PICTURES\LIGHTROOM\BACKUPS\2012-03-19

All subsequent backups (10 of them) ending yesterday are all in the 1.6 MB size range.

• 4. Re: Catalog back up
                BRIJAN Level 1

I just opened the Folder and found that it contains a large number of files listed as

Lightroom 3 Catalog Previews.lrdata

Lightroom Settings

Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat.lock

Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat-journal

And a large number of other similar files.

All of the other backups just have

Lightroom 3 Catalog

• 5. Re: Catalog back up
                  Hal P Anderson Level 6

You can't possibly mean 1.6 MB. 160 I'd believe, though.

Try opening the folder that is so large. Does it contain a subfolder named "<something> Previews.lrdata"? That folder is a preview cache, and if it is around 5 GB, that will explain the mystery. You also ought to check that the catalogue that LR is using isn't the "mystery backup". If it is, you certainly don't want to delete it. You can check by opening LR and going to menu item Edit/Catalog settings... General Tab; Location.

Hal

• 6. Re: Catalog back up
                    BRIJAN Level 1

You are correct Hal it is 164 MB NOT 1.6.  My Bad..

The file location is

When opened it contains:

Lightroom Settings

Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat.lock

Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat-journal

And a large number of other similar files.

Brian

Brian McGarvey

Cell Phone 613-852-6330

• 7. Re: Catalog back up

At some point you stored the catalog in the Backups folder.

The info can be found on my computer when you select EDIT - CATALOG SETTINGS and then SHOW:

This location is the place where the catalog is. The fact that the folder is called Backups is purely coincidental.

Move your catalog from this folder

• 8. Re: Catalog back up
                        BRIJAN Level 1

I would appreciate any advice you could provide on how and where to move the folder so that I do not create any additional problems.

I do not have a background in computers so need all the help I can get.

Thanks very much for identifying the problem so quickly. I am new to this Adobe Community and have found it a great help on my first attempt to resolve a problem.

• 9. Re: Catalog back up

Make sure Lightroom is closed first.

Then in the Finder/Windows explorer move the contents of your 2012-03-19 folder to the Lightroom Folder.

Launch Lightroom and go to the Catalog Settings > General. You should now see the path as C:\USERS\BRIAN\PICTURES\LIGHTROOM

The backup folder will still be used for backups. The empty 2012-03-19 folder can be discarded.