8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 12:31 PM by ECBowen

Haswell-E is here!

Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Intel did just announce the Haswell-E three new CPU's after all.. They are the 8-core i7-5960X at $999, a 6-core i7-5930K at $583 and a stripped down 6-core but with only 28 PCIe the i7-5820K at $389.  Of course you need a new motherboard and the X99's are starting to show

Hasewell-e.jpg

• 1. Re: Haswell-E is here!
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes hopefully I have the benchmarks done by the end of the Holiday weekend. This will be with Gskill DDR4 2667 ram for now until ours shows up. However 2400 is as fast as I could get the ram to clock right now. The 2600+ just is not happening on these sticks.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Haswell-E is here!

Eric,

That will be great.  I have my i7-5930K, but no motherboard or memory yet.  I am waiting for the ASUS X77-E WS with it's 88 PCIe lanes to be available.  I just want to future-proof this build as much as possible, as PCIe is the clear path to the future of storage. 

With over 3 dozen various hard drives around I seriously doubt that I will ever buy another hard drive.  This next computer will not have any except via eSATA to a Thermaltake Hard Drive docking station to do my back-ups and get at my old archives.  Since I am not a production house I can easily go this route.

• 3. Re: Haswell-E is here!
              JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

I don't get it? You've been hyping the coming of the Haswell-E, you post Intel's blurb on "breakaway performance", and then you purchase one of the 6-core CPU variants. The 8-core is only $899 at Micro Center and according to JJ at Asus, it should hit somewhere from 4.4 to 4.6 with a reasonable voltage. I would think if you are building a new PC to be somewhat future-proof you would go with the i7-5960x.

Regarding the MB, I think that you meant to write "X99-E WS". I saw the specs. on that board this morning and they look fantastic! Nobody seemed to be selling it yet though.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Haswell-E is here!
                RjL190365 Level 4

Jim,

I tend to agree with you. The six-core 5930K and DDR4 RAM will not be sufficiently faster than the last-generation 4930K and DDR3 RAM to justify the price premium of the combo. However, Bill has skipped the Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E platforms entirely since they didn't provide all that much of a performance improvement over his aging current i7-980X based LGA 1366 platform for the money.

And Bill did not cheap out and go for the el cheapo i7-5820K: Although it is a 6-core CPU, it has only 28 PCI-e 3.0 lanes instead of the normal 40 PCI-e 3.0 lanes on the pricier CPUs in the Haswell-E series. This will limit the second GPU to x8 operation instead of x16.

And the only reason why Intel has limited the stock speed of the i7-5960X to only 3.0 GHz instead of the 3.5 GHz stock speed of the i7-5930K is to keep the TDP to 140W.

• 5. Re: Haswell-E is here!

Jim and Randall

You were correct on my choice of motherboard actually being the ~$500 X99-E WS with the additional chip onboard to give you 88 PCIe lanes! 

Being a now long time retiree I have to cut a few corners so I did carefully consider the CPU tradeoff' while at Microcenter.  Two more cores is a significant difference, maybe some day in the future.  With the E5 series of Xeon's (compatible with this motherboard) there is a promise of up to 14 cores, according to ASUS.

I have been getting very frustrated with my aging current x58 motherboard with the PCIe version 2 limitations.  Since it is evident to me that the future of storage is PCIe based and that for a typical workstation that RAID will no longer be necessary for speed and that multiple disks will no longer be necessary to spread to I/O between devices with the new NVMe based SSD's.

I did ask when the new ASUS board might be available but the answer was it is definitely on order but there is no delivery date provided yet.  Maybe Eric has some inside info on this.

• 6. Re: Haswell-E is here!

The X99-E WS board is the one I am testing with. I don't have an eta on when it will be available at retail. I can however say you might want to wait on that board. There is some real instability when the ram is at 2400 and 2600 is not even an option yet. If you plan to clock the  ram up on this beyond 2133 then you likely want to wait. I will be working on the benchmarks though out the day remotely probably.  Only here to set that up and get some other issues dealt with. BTW that ram speed is with the Gskill ram. Still waiting on our ram to see if that changes the behavior 2600+ on that board.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Haswell-E is here!
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Eric,

Sweet, you have your hands on a Asus x99-e WS motherboard already!

RAM at 2133 sounds OK to me to get started. I'm more anxious to hear how the new "-E" 8-core OC's. Are you testing with an 8-core? Are you testing with at least a bit of overclock?

Thanks and good luck with your benching!

Jim

• 8. Re: Haswell-E is here!

Yes I am testing with the 5960X first. I will have benchmarks at 3.5GHz and looks like 4.5GHz. The Audio testing was done with both of those and the performance difference was big so far on the audio. Still  to early to tell on video but  so far definitely an improvement already even at 3.5Ghz. BTW even 3.5GHz plays back 4K R3D 4 layer full resolution preview like butter with less than 50% cpu load.

Eric

ADK