5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2014 2:02 PM by bryan.gough RSS

Bulk recording work flow in Audition CC (or CC 14)?

bryan.gough Community Member

We are trying to record a lot of names, dates, numbers. I am trying to understand how to think about doing this in a multitrack recording.

1. I want to create a new track, enable it for recording, return the current time indicator to the "home" position. I checked preferences to see if there was a way to enable "record" on a new track. There isn't. Nor is their a keyboard shortcut (?)... I also want to remove/mute the previous track(s) so that I'm only monitoring/recording one at a time.
      2. After I solve that dilemma—I want to export the tracks to files that are named from a spreadsheet. I am aware of a SHELL script that can do this in Finder (I'm on a mac) but I was wondering if there's any way to batch rename inside of Audition?
      3. TBD...

Thanks.

Mac Pro

Audition CC and CC 14

• 1. Re: Bulk recording work flow in Audition CC (or CC 14)?
          ryclark Community Member

If I was you I would do it a slightly different way. I would record them all in one track one after another and save that as a single file. You can then use Markers to mark the Ranges of the individual audio clips and the Markers List in Audition to split them up and save as individual files.

Unfortunately you cannot do batch renaming from within Audition. So you will have to find another tool for that I'm afraid.

• 2. Re: Bulk recording work flow in Audition CC (or CC 14)?
            SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

bryan.gough wrote:

We are trying to record a lot of names, dates, numbers. I am trying to understand how to think about doing this in a multitrack recording.

1. I want to create a new track, enable it for recording, return the current time indicator to the "home" position. I checked preferences to see if there was a way to enable "record" on a new track. There isn't. Nor is their a keyboard shortcut (?)... I also want to remove/mute the previous track(s) so that I'm only monitoring/recording one at a time.

You can set up a template in multitrack that would leave a single track set up and record-enabled. Have you considered that? Create the session exactly as you want it, then export it as a template and it will be available for use. It will also remember this as the last one used, so just starting a new multitrack recording would be all you needed to do.

But as ryclark says, I'd be more inclined to do loads as one file and split it.

• 3. Re: Bulk recording work flow in Audition CC (or CC 14)?

Thanks,

I was afraid you were going to say that! So... there's a keyboard shortcut for Range Marker (Shift+Cmd+m) that has a default duration of 1 second. Do you know of a way to change this? It is not available in Markers Preferences... For example, we know that we want all our "takes" to be exactly XX:XX seconds long. Placing a Range Marker that visually identifies the In/Out points would be very helpful. Do you know of any way to access/set the Range Marker default duration?

• 4. Re: Bulk recording work flow in Audition CC (or CC 14)?

I'm also curious to know if there's a way to "slide" a range marker forwards/backwards in the timeline... changing the In/Out times but leaving the Duration constant so that I could effectively bookend a section of recorded audio...?

• 5. Re: Bulk recording work flow in Audition CC (or CC 14)?

Regarding "sliding" a Range Marker—with an area of a track selected, you can hit the keyboard shortcut for a Range Marker and it sets an RM to the selection. The Selection CAN be slide down the track and be the "guide" for a new RM. This is a backhanded way of solving the default RM duration...