23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2014 8:23 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

how to make video go backwards

TRI-STAE - MD DC VA

how to make video go backwards

• 1. Re: how to make video go backwards
          A.T. Romano Community Member

Charles King

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Answers are in details. In the absence of them, I will generalize for now..

Most likely....Right click the Timeline video, select Time Stretch, in the Time Stretch dialog put a check mark next to Reverse Speed.

Also, do not think the following is what you seek, but you could take a look at Effects/Transform/Horizontal Flip.

We will be watching for your follow up with details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: how to make video go backwards
            TRI-STAE - MD DC VA Community Member

wow such tech talk

im very new at this

i have 64 bits windows 7 - premire elements 11

i was able to do it once but forgotten how to make the video go in reverse again

i seem to rember clicking the hour glass symbol and a small window popped up so i could reerse effect but now i can not find that little window pop up again

thanks for responing sir king

• 3. Re: how to make video go backwards

THE RIGHT CLICK ON TIME LIINE THEN STROLLING DOWN TO WINDOW HELPED GREATLY

SUPER GREATL;Y

THANKS

DO YOU KNOW IF THERES ANY ITEMS I CAN ADD INTO ELEMENTS TO MAKE SPARKS OR FIRE APPEAR OVER LAP THE VIDEO EFFECTS

I KNOW THIS DONE IN PREMIRE PRO..........BUT I DO NOT HAVE PRO OR CAN AFFORD TI AT THIS TIME AND IT LOOKS LIEK I WOULD HAVE TO TAKE COLLEGE CLASEES TO OPERATOR PREMIRE PRO IT LOOKS LIEK THE  INSIDE OF THE SPACE SHUTTLE TO LEARN

SO ARE THERE 3D OR EFFECTS I CAN ADD TO ADD DAZZLE TO MY VIDEOS OVER LAP AND CLICKING THE VIDEO MERGE BUTTON YOU KNOW OF...HUH

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP

• 4. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

Just about to call it a day when I saw your latest post.

Any questions, need clarification, do not hesitate to ask.

Check out the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace Graphics Tab at the bottom right of that workspace - see especially the animated objects smoke, steam, and storm cloud. Others there (the non animated ones) may also be of interest. You click and drag the graphic from the thumbnail into the clip to which you want to apply the graphic.

I will check out your thread in the morning to see your progress.

Thanks for the reply.

ATR

• 5. Re: how to make video go backwards

i asked you a 2nd question but you didnt respond to it

my 2nd question was

do you know any special effects i can add over top my videos sorta in a green screen effect

im seeking effects like moving fire or fire-works sparkles to enhance special attention to my film

i all most got into getting adobe pro elements un-till i seen the cost to have it

i now found out the pro version has month rates at $20 affortable but its still to complete to operate at my level

when i down-loaded the trail version of premire pro i though i was looking into the control center at N.A.S.A space shuttle it was way to far advance for my under standing i would be calling abode daily for info just to turn the program on

sir king

thanks again

oooh yes

i was giving the adobe phone support a headance

i was trying to find a simple way to re-move background from photo after i down loaded PS photo shop

they kept me on hold after a hour i dis-connected the team member was trying to show me the eraser tool to edge around the image but it took a hour just to trace the eraser around the person to detail

one photo student who came thur my job site told me that was strange because there is a simpler way to do that just by clicking onto the image and the program grabs everything in the background and mask it to dis-appear....at this point i dont know still how to do it and maybe have to just use paint to erase the background which takes hourssssssssssss

sir king

do you have any ideas that would help

• 6. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

I think that I answered a graphics question that you were not asking. I interpreted the question as adding graphics to an image.

From what you wrote in your follow up post, it sounds like you are looking for backgrounds for green screen type images.

Let us start with getting the "green screen image" or an object in a photo whose background is deleted.

What program do you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? These types of programs have selection tools. You may have to

use a combination of these selection rather than just one to make the selection that you want and delete out the existing background.

Can be difficult or impossible or very doable depending on the photo involved.

Let us assume that you select the object in the photo, you hit the delete to get rid of the background. The photo now has transparency surrounding

that object. The catch is to maintain that transparency taking that document from Photoshop or Photoshop Elements into Premiere Elements as a file.

In Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you should be using Save As to png or psd in order to maintain that transparency....also edit the size (pixel dimensions) to correspond to the project settings of Premiere Elements into which it is going to be imported.

When you do and after import of the png or psd file, note

Video Track 1 = Background file

Video Track 2 = that png or psd file

With the transparency in your png or psd file on Video Track 2, the background on Video Track 1 will be able to show through.

Now for background images...you can use a video or still. You can use your own files. There are various online video photo stock places where you might

find royalty free (non copyright issues) files.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Royalty+Free+Images&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla :en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

I go out and shoot my own footage rather than purchase from online...cost saving.

Please review and then let me know if I have answered that question whose answer you sought.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: how to make video go backwards

THANKS AGIN 4 RESPONDING

i have PS adobe photo shop trial version down-loaded now

I spoke by phone to adobe to try photo shop & photo Illustrator, to create the photo image I need.

But adobe staff say's states that I really do not need Illustor to do this task of taken the subject from background and so I am focus on P.s only

The problem now is when I use the eraser tool I stll have to pain stakingly trace the object with eraser which takes about 30 mins to remove that person from the photo. I have the basica idea of how to take that image and create a

GREEEN SCREEN  once i removed all the other stuff in background.

The problem is - it still the same as using my paint program of pain stakingly edging around the target object lots of time.

Since I do not know all the use of P.S i was thinking there is a quicker way to get that subject from photo rather then edging tool slowly slow slowly

sir king

• 8. Re: how to make video go backwards

sir king

The answer is not in one selection tool in Photoshop Elements to get extract of a person or object from the background of the original photo.

And, you are fighting an uphill battle if there is not enough distinction between the person/object and the background.

As an example, take the following photo and consider extracting the flower from it.

Photo1.JPG

Here I am using Photoshop Elements 10 WIndows 7 64 bit and will start with the Quick Selection Tool, target the flower.

I will be using the left (to decrease) and/or right (to increase) bracket computer keyboard keys to change the brush size as needed as I go about

creating the selection of the flower. If I get overzealous with the selection, I will hold down the Alt key as I use the Quick Selection Tool to unselect small over selections.

Clean up of edges was done with

a. Refine Edges in the Selection Tools Options Bar at the bottom of the workspace

also try

b. Select Menu/Modify/Contract or Expand (to use this, Ctrl click the thumbnail for the cut out in the Layers Palette to get the marching ants representing the selection of the flower cut out.

also try

c. eraser tool with brush size decreased to remove very tiny left overs (always making sure that you have the correct layer in the Layers Palette selected when you are working on screen with your mouse cursor.

When I get finished and with the layer selected, I do Ctrl+J to put just the flower on its own new layer above the original. Then when I replaced the layer underneath the cut out

Photo2.JPG

The only time this should be painful is if you have very little contrast between the background and the person/object.

ATR

• 9. Re: how to make video go backwards

MY ADOBE IS TELLING ME INSUFFICIENT SPACE ABLE TO DRIVE WHY

• 10. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

What are you doing when you get this insufficient space message?

Are you in Publish+Share/Disc/ and about to burn to disc.....if so, you may have your Encoding Files pointing to a hard drive space

with not enough free space to accept them. If this is the case, look at Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and Disk Encoding

category to see where Disk Encoding is pointing to and how much free space is there. You may have to clear some space at that location.

You might also get that kind of message if you are downloading files and the area that you designated for the download save may not

have enough free space.

Please review and consider the above. If none of the above targeted your question, please supply more details, and we will work on

this based on those added details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: how to make video go backwards

NO I'M JUST BURNING TO DISC..I'M NOT SENDING TO PUBLIC FORM LIKE YOUTUBE - I AM JUST BURNING

I OPEN PREFERENCES / SCRATCHED

but nothing shows or nothing is high lighted in this section. each one of the items listed inside Scratchdata show 301.4 gb in computer used

but my storage amount is 500 gb so I have approx 170 free space

thanks for your concern

chars

PLEASE reply asap i cant continue at this point

• 12. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

Let us try this.

Go directly to the Encoded Files Folder. It should be found

Libraries

Documents

Adobe

Premiere Elements

11.0 Folder

in the 11.0 Folder is the Encoded Files Folder. Please open it, see what is in it. Delete whatever is inside that folder.

Did you find anything in that Folder and did deleting its content make a difference.

I will be back in a few moments with some more things for you to do, just in case.

To be continued....

ATR

• 13. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

The following is the Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks from my Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit.

Note that

EncodedFilesFolder.jpg

In my case, the path to the Disc Encoding  is shown as

C:\User...dobe\Premiere Elements\11.0\

What does it show in your case? Answer this question only if you could not locate the Encoded Files Folder

whose location I described in post 12.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

Thanks for the follow up.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using? I thought that you had said earlier in your thread Premiere Elements 11.

From the screenshot of your Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, it looks like you are working in Premiere Elements 10.

Did you switch versions? Maybe a factor in all this?

ATR

• 16. Re: how to make video go backwards

it maybe pm 10 i dont know

• 17. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

Does your Timeline workspace look like the following

10.JPG

If so, then you are working with Premiere Elements 10.

And, when you go to burn to disc, you should see "Share" instead of "Publish+Share".

If you click on Share and have your DVD in the burner tray, you should see

10 2.JPG

If you are at this stage, what do you see for Space Required and Bitrate (with that check mark next to

"Fit Contents to available space"? In my example, the Space Required = 62.00 MB at the Bitrate of 8.00 Mbps.

ATR

• 19. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

Thank you for that screenshot.

That last screenshot told the story. The news is not good.

You have reached disc capacity, and the program can do no more to make the fit even with "Fit content to available space". Next step

a. go to Blu-ray disc 25 GB if you have a Blu-ray burner

or

b. divide the project into a 2 disc set

or

c. start cutting the project until the "Insufficient Space" message goes away

Apparently you are using a double layer single sided DVD disc. The label on that kind of disc shows 8.5 GB/240 minutes. But in reality that 8.5 GB = 7.95 GB.

Please let me know the outcome when you get the time.

Sorry the news could not be better.

ATR

• 20. Re: how to make video go backwards

VERY ODD...I CUT THE FILM BY 20 MINS AND IT WORKED....

2ND TASK'S MY FRINED

THANKS FOR THE FIRST AND YOUR HELP

2ND

I FORGOTTEN HOW TO MAKE FILM REVERSE.....

I VAGUELY REMBER OPENING SOME SMALL WINDOW AND HITTING THE REVERSE BUTTON

TELL ME AGAIN

• 21. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

So glad that removal of those 20 minutes and all is well. Great news and Great job.

As for reverse on the video...right click the video, select Time Stretch, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, put a check mark next to Reverse Speed.

Is that what you did last time?

TimeStretch.JPG

I am going to be calling it a day. I will check your thread in the morning to see how you are doing

with your project.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 22. Re: how to make video go backwards

00Kg051O6Ke.jpgYES THAT SOUND LIKE WHAT I DID LAST TIME

I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THIS PROJECT TO FINISH BURN TO TRY-IT

HEY QUESTION ARE YOU ANOTHER USER OR PART OF THE STAFF OF ADOBE

ITS SAD THERES NO PHONE SUPPORT ALL THIS EMAILING IS TIME CONSUMING

• 23. Re: how to make video go backwards

Charles King

Just another Premiere Elements user here with an overactive Premiere Elements troubleshooting gene.

Hope all is going well.

Best wishes

ATR