4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2014 3:46 PM by A.T. Romano

generic error VOB files

vwsprocket

I have recently copied videos onto a sony DVD recorder and from there, burnt them onto a DVD in VOB format. From the DVDs. I have transferred them onto a laptop. The problem is, when i attempt to import them into adobe premiere elements 12 the first 2 VOB files give a "generic error". Here is the full error:

-------------------------------------------------

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_1.VOB

The importer reported a generic error.

--------------------------------------------------

I believe that this may be caused by the menu in the files as they both have a blue video selection menu.

Is there any other way to import these files because they contain the first few minutes of our films!

• 1. Re: generic error VOB files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

• 2. Re: generic error VOB files
            A.T. Romano Level 7

vwsprocket

In Premiere Elements, there should be no need to convert the video files (VOBs) from your DVD-VIDEO on DVD to mpg or anything else.

Let us explore to try to define the cause of your issue.

I have recently copied videos onto a sony DVD recorder and from there, burnt them onto a DVD in VOB format.

In the above step, where did you do the burn to "DVD in VOB format"? What did you have on the DVD disc then...a VIDEO_TS Folder and anything else?

From the DVDs. I have transferred them onto a laptop.

How did you do that? Did you insert the DVD disc into the burner tray, and then use Premiere Elements Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer?

The problem is, when i attempt to import them into adobe premiere elements 12 the first 2 VOB files give a "generic error". Here is the full error:

-------------------------------------------------

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_1.VOB

The importer reported a generic error.

If we are in sync on the path so far, what happened after Video Importer....how many video files (VTS....VOB) were there and how many of them did you check off...and when did the importer generic error appear...right after you hit "Get Media" in the Video Importer?  Did the Video Importer have a check mark next to Add to Timeline?  The VIDEO_TS.VOB should not have been there since it should not have been one of the check offs. Any chance for a screenshot of the error message? All you want is VTS_01_1.VOB and others in its series depending on the size/content of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Let us review the above and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: generic error VOB files
              vwsprocket Level 1

The videos were recorded on our camcorder, and from there, transfered by wires to the Sony DVD recorder. The videos were saved on the hard drive of the DVD player and, from there, we burnt them onto DVDs. We inserted them into our laptop and copied the files onto it. Inside each DVD there were these folders:

- VIDEO_TS

- VIDEO_RM

Inside VIDEO_TS:

- VIDEO_TS.VOB

- VTS_01_1.VOB

- VTS_01_2.VOB

ect...

Inside VIDEO_RM:

- SONATA.IFO

- SONATA_DEBUG.IFO

- VIDEO_RM.BUP

- VIDEO_RM.DAT

- VIDO_RM.IFO

Once we had the videos on the hard drive, we opened premeire elements 12 and clicked 'add media'. We selected all the files and added them. Premiere elements would load for about 5 seconds then bring up the generic error. Once we had closed the error message all of the other vob files would be in the media add menu, apart from 'VIDEO_TS.VOB' and 'VTS_01_1.VOB'.  We could edit these files normally but as i said earlier, we were missing the first few minutes of video in the 'VTS_01_1.VOB' file.

I can get a screenshot but i have no idea how to upload it.

Many thanks for your help so far!

• 4. Re: generic error VOB files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

vwsprocket

Thanks for the additional details.

After all the steps from source to Premiere Elements, it is interesting to note that you say your only problem is a few seconds of missing footage which you believe is in the VTS_01_1.VOB video file.

From my perspective, the VIDEO_RM here and often the Audio_TS are useless Folders. It is those video files in the VIDEO_TS Folder that are of consequence.

I found this informative article on VIDEO_RM and its possible shortcomings.

VIDEO_RM - AfterDawn: Glossary of technology terms & acronyms

Could you compile the following information?

Are you using Add Media/Files and Folders/....assuming for now, yes

When you go to Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders, what are the specific names of all the files that you ask the Add Media to gather?

Right now I would like to know details on the etc when you wrote

- VTS_01_1.VOB

- VTS_01_2.VOB

ect...

My target is only VIDEO_TS Folder and its video files. The VIDEO_RM Folder and its contents are of no consequence in this import.

There are instances where the significant video files start in the group VTS_02_1 VOB and not VTS_01_1.VOB. Therefore, if you have not already, I need for you to check out the contents of each of those video files for content and sequence of content.

But backing up a little, what happens if you take the DVD-VIDEO on DVD you produced (before you copied anything to the laptop) and insert that DVD disc into the burner tray and open Premiere Elements Add Media/DVD camera and computer hard drive/Video Importer and just selected the VTS_01_1.VOB and its files in the series of 0.99 GB files? Have you been there and done that?

I do not want to distract from the above, but I will note that I will address the matter of an Audio_TS Folder. That is an easy one to address if it is absolutely necessary to have. Typically, nothing needs to be in the Audio_TS Folder. An empty Audio_TS Folder seems to meet some sort of compatibility matter between disc and player.

Please review. I want to make sure that we are in sync on the troubleshooting information.

Thank you.

ATR