I tried the adobe script method but they don't extract as full size jpegs. They are still far too small for me to do anything with it. I am going to try your plug in but I'm not very good with this stuff and worried that I will have the same problem. Thank you for the help. If you think of something let me know.
You can only expect to extract a preview of the size used by lightroom. That CAN be a full size version but only if the image had been viewed at 100% while in Lightroom and the 1:1 preview had not been deleted (default is after 30 days)
If the file ha been deleted there is not source from which to gain a preview other than those on the preview data file.
For the future...how do I make sure its a 1:1 preview? In case this happens again I want to be sure I can recover the proper sized image.
Thank you for the quick responses. I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix this mistake.
From the menu.
Library > Previews > Build 1:1 Previews.
In the catalog settings under the File Handling Tab change the setting for Automatically discard 1:1 Previews to Never.
Caution: keeping 1:1 previews for all your images will eat a lot of working Hard drive space and is probably not a great solution for the "what if" scenario here. I recommend a backup strategy of the original files offline so you can rebuild a full preview should you accidentally delete the working files.
I'm worried that I will have the same problem.
You will, probably.
Adobe's script: should retrieve the largest image, since author should understand "forward" engineering - implemented properly in all cases ("should" meaning "not proven").. But Adobe's script does NOT apply correct ICC profile, and recovered previews images are stripped of all metadata.
Plugins: hopefully retrieve the largest image, but preview subsystem is "reverse" engineered by plugin author, and plugin author may or may not have succeeded at doing it "properly" in all cases. PS - all respectable preview recovery plugins do assign the correct ICC profile, and transfer metadata from missing source photo.
PS - I've done a lot of comparison between Adobe's script and the preview recovery plugin that I wrote, and have never noticed a difference in recovered size, but I've had other users say there is/was a difference - unfortunately, I dunno whether they were right or wrong about that, or there was some factor that would explain it (e.g. 1:1 preview expiring and being removed by Lr prior to evaluation..).