7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2014 6:08 PM by TheAnji

The importer reported a geniric error

TheAnji Level 1

Hi,

I can't upload any file in my Premiere Elements 10. getting the error message "The importer reported a geniric error". It used to work well before (I have uploaded same file earlier). My laptop was crashed. So i restored it and re-installed PE10. I lost my PE10 original serial number. Got new Serial number from the Tech Support. Now I can't upload any file. I see lot of discussions on the same topic. but it seems nothing is resolved. Please help me.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: The importer reported a geniric error
          A.T. Romano Level 7

The Anji

Let us start with background information.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 working on? And, does your computer use a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card.

If a NVIDIA GeForce card, then stop and let us know. There is a serious Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue which is remedied by roll back of the card's driver version to about May 2013. We need to rule this factor in or out before considering other troubleshooting routes.

See Announcement at the top of this forum.

What are the properties of this file that was compatible with Premiere Elements 10 before but is not now?

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

The brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video might give us the information that we need. How long ago

was everything work?

What project preset are you setting to match the properties of your source media?

Then the usual...latest version of QuickTime installed...and are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and also have Run As Administrator applied?

Let us start here and then consider the troubleshooting plan.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: The importer reported a geniric error
            TheAnji Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. below are the detail.

OS                     - Windows 7 and 64 bit

Graphics Card   - Intel HD Graphics 4000

File:  MPEG-4 Audio (.m4a) format audio file downloaded from iTunes.

• 3. Re: The importer reported a geniric error
              TheAnji Level 1

Hi Romano,

Thank you so much. Issue is resolved now.

as you said, I have installed latest QuickTime and tried. Its working now. Thanks again.

Regards,

Anji

• 4. Re: The importer reported a geniric error
                A.T. Romano Level 7

TheAnji

Thanks for the follow up with the great news of success.

That QuickTime install is a must for many Premiere Elements functions, the most obvious one being that you will not have QuickTime presets for the QuickTime exports (Share/Computer/QuickTime).

We are glad that you are not involved with the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue.

But, I am a little concerned about that iTunes music (m4a). Nearly all the time that iTunes music needs to be converted to a .wav file in iTunes

and then imported into Premiere Elements as the .wav version (Get Media/Files and Folders). Otherwise, it can trigger that Importer Generic Error at import.

If you need a step by step for the iTunes music conversion to .wav, please let me know.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: The importer reported a geniric error
                  TheAnji Level 1

it would be great if you could provide the steps. Thank you.

• 6. Re: The importer reported a geniric error
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TheAnji

Thanks for the follow up.

1. Open iTunes to Music/Songs.

2. Go to File Menu/Add File to Library, and import your iTunes .m4a music.

3. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and its Import Settings tab.

4. Click on the Import Settings tab to bring up the Import Settings dialog.

5. In the Import Settings dialog, set the "Import Using" to WAV Encoder. And, close out of there.

6. Back in iTunes Music/Songs, right click your music file that you added to the Library back in Step 2. Then select Create to WAV Version.

7. Right click the .wav version of your song and select Copy.

8. Paste the .wav song to the computer desktop.

9. Import that .wav song into Premiere Elements 10 with its Get Media/Files and Folders/project media area from where you drag the music to one of the audio tracks (Soundtrack or numbered Audio Tracks)

Please let us know if you are OK with the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: The importer reported a geniric error
                      TheAnji Level 1

Thanks a lot ... Romano.