2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2007 9:03 AM by shotbyshawn

OT:  MySQL for Flex/CF on Vista

shotbyshawn Level 1
      Hi, I can't seem to install MySQL 5.0.27 on Vista for use with Flex/CF. To install Flex and CF, I was able to move my CD files onto the desktop and run in compatibility mode for XP/SP2 and the Run as Administrator...a little finicky but it worked.

I can't do that with MySQL (msi installer) and when I try to do the compatibility and/or run as admin thing, neither option is available. I get through the basic install, then it won't run the configuration; from there, it just plain doesn't work.

I read you need to have Visual Studio with SP1 so I jumped through them hoops (dumb!) but even that didn't work. I do, however, now have a whole bunch of MS Express software including MSSQL and Vis Studio Web...sigh...

Vista came bundled with my Dell (no option to configure with XP Pro). I have available here XP Home and XP 64 (it's a Core 2 Duo machine and my server was running XP 64 till I upgraded to Server 2003 SBS). My entire reason for this computer is Flex/CF Development to be moved over to my server when the time is right. Would starting over with XP Home or XP 64 be a better option? If I had XP Pro, it would be a no-brainer...

Any suggestions, or knowledge as to whether MySQL will work with this OS, or if I should reformat for XP Home or XP 64?

Shawn
        • 1. Re: MySQL for Flex/CF on Vista
          Level 7
          Shawn,

See if this helps:

http://port25.technet.com/videos/research/MySQL_Windows.pdf

--
          Ken Ford
          Adobe Community Expert
          Fordwebs, LLC
          http://www.fordwebs.com

"shotbyshawn" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:evt7p6$i3d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi, I can't seem to install MySQL 5.0.27 on Vista for use with Flex/CF. To
          > install Flex and CF, I was able to move my CD files onto the desktop and run in
          > compatibility mode for XP/SP2 and the Run as Administrator...a little finicky
          > but it worked.
          >
          > I can't do that with MySQL (msi installer) and when I try to do the
          > compatibility and/or run as admin thing, neither option is available. I get
          > through the basic install, then it won't run the configuration; from there, it
          > just plain doesn't work.
          >
          > I read you need to have Visual Studio with SP1 so I jumped through them hoops
          > (dumb!) but even that didn't work. I do, however, now have a whole bunch of MS
          > Express software including MSSQL and Vis Studio Web...sigh...
          >
          > Vista came bundled with my Dell (no option to configure with XP Pro). I have
          > available here XP Home and XP 64 (it's a Core 2 Duo machine and my server was
          > running XP 64 till I upgraded to Server 2003 SBS). My entire reason for this
          > computer is Flex/CF Development to be moved over to my server when the time is
          > right. Would starting over with XP Home or XP 64 be a better option? If I had
          > XP Pro, it would be a no-brainer...
          >
          > Any suggestions, or knowledge as to whether MySQL will work with this OS, or
          > if I should reformat for XP Home or XP 64?
          >
          > Shawn
          >
          • 2. Re: OT:  MySQL for Flex/CF on Vista
            shotbyshawn Level 1
            That worked perfectly. Thanks very much:) I think I like Vista, but only time will tell...it's very pernickity...

Shawn