4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2014 4:47 AM by DanFuge

Problem creating the navigation list

DanFuge Level 1

I'm on part to and stuck from step 19 onwards. I create the 'Unordered list' and type in the titles but it doesn't give the same result as the example, it's probably quite a simple mistake but I'm completely new to this.

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>Bayside Beat: Cable Cars</title>

</head>

<body>

<div id="wrapper">

<header id="top">

<h1>Bayside Beat</h1>

<nav id="mainnav"><ul>Home

Sightseeing

Eating Out

What's On

Where to stay</ul></nav>

</header>

</div>

</body>

</html>

• 1. Re: Problem creating the navigation list
          David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Each title in the unordered list should be enclosed in <li> tags (list items).

<ul>

<li>Home</li>

<li>Sightseeing</li>

<li>Eating Out</li>

<li>What's On</li>

<li>Where to stay</li>

</ul>

• 2. Re: Problem creating the navigation list
            DanFuge Level 1

So I've managed to make it look the same as what you've said and it now works but I have to do it playing with the indent and outdent code buttons. Is there a way that I can do this part without that because the tutorial suggests that it does the list items and their indents automatically?

• 3. Re: Problem creating the navigation list
              David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

It sounds as though the focus was in Code view when you clicked Unordered List in the Insert panel. If you're in Code view, only the <ul></ul> tags are inserted.

Click at the point you want to insert the list to put the focus in Design view. Then click Unordered list. That automatically inserts the first list item and leaves the cursor (insertion point) between the <li></li> tags:

<ul>

<li></li>

</ul>

When you start typing, the text is inserted between the list item tags. Pressing Enter creates a new pair of list item tags for you to add your text to.

Code view works differently from Design view on the assumption that when you're in Code view you know what you're doing. That's why it doesn't automatically insert the <li> tags. For example, if you're building a page using a server-side technology, such as PHP, you might want to insert dynamic code to generate the list from a database result.

• 4. Re: Problem creating the navigation list
                DanFuge Level 1

Thanks for the help this has sorted everything that I needed help with.