17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 3:56 AM by ~IanB~

Help with HDR

Mjm

Hi,  I have a Canon 70D.  It has HDR and I assume it layers the photos in the camera to produce one image for development in Lightroom 5.  My problem is I can't tell which ones are HDR in the library.  They are all named as jpeg.  Is there a way to tell them apart?  Also it appears that are 3 identical images in the library, could these be ones that need to be layered again, I was under the impression that this automatically did this in the camera.  Could someone help me please.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Help with HDR
          nagol5178SN Level 1

It depends how you do it. You can do it in camera, or you can bracket which will just take multiple exposures for you to do it yourself in photoshop. It is better to do it yourself than do it in camera usually. Because you can edit each raw file the way you want it and then add them together in photoshop, save it and it goes back to lightroom as one photo.

• 2. Re: Help with HDR
            BKKDon Level 4

Mjm wrote:

Hi,  I have a Canon 70D.  It has HDR and I assume it layers the photos in the camera to produce one image for development in Lightroom 5.  My problem is I can't tell which ones are HDR in the library.  They are all named as jpeg.  Is there a way to tell them apart?  Also it appears that are 3 identical images in the library, could these be ones that need to be layered again, I was under the impression that this automatically did this in the camera.  Could someone help me please.  Thank you.

Hi,

A couple of points about HDR mode in the EOS 70D:

1. The HDR mode cannot be set if RAW or RAW+JPEG is set therefore you can only shoot in JPG mode.

2. And only the merged HDR image will be saved. The three images used to produce the merged HDR image will not be saved.

If you wish to process RAW images or JPG images yourself you will need to BRACKET the shots in camera (AEB - Auto Exposure Bracketing) and process in a HDR application.

• 3. Re: Help with HDR
              Mjm Level 1

Thanks,  saw your answer that said the layering has to be done in PS...I have a fairly old version of PSElements, can it still be done? Thank you...

• 4. Re: Help with HDR
                Mjm Level 1

Thanks for the answers but I'm still confused about whether there is a way to tell which are HDR in the library...also, would I have to disable HDR to take it with the AEB for manual layering?

• 5. Re: Help with HDR
                  BKKDon Level 4

Mjm wrote:

Thanks for the answers but I'm still confused about whether there is a way to tell which are HDR in the library...also, would I have to disable HDR to take it with the AEB for manual layering?

Hi,

As the 70D only saves the HDR output therefore that particular image is the HDR image but it isn't named differently to other images taken by the camera. You can notice a difference with the detail in the image but no difference in the tone mapping etc if the "Natural"  blend mode is used ... other modes give more garish results.

For manual or out of camera processing you would need to use AEB to produce the images to be blended. Note that DPP 3.15 (software that comes with your camera) has a HDR Tool that will emulate the Camera process but allow you to further adjust the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation Detail and Fineness. Then you could save as a 16bit TIF and import the output into Lightroom for further processing.

As you are using Lightroom there are many commercial products, apart from Photoshop, available: NIK HDR Efex Pro, Photomatrix etc. One of the products that give the most pleasing effect (My Opinion) is LR/Enfuse from the Photographers Toolbox (LR/Enfuse - Blend Multiple Exposures Together in Adobe Lightroom) is a donation product, but as I am not a real HDR fan you need to look around the internet to see what is more suitable for you.

As for PS Elements it probably isn't the best to create HDR type images as it is a totally manual process ... there are some tutorials on the internet about using PSE to produce HDR like images.

• 6. Re: Help with HDR
                    Mjm Level 1

Thank you very much the reply.  That helps a lot and thanks for the heads up on the Enfuse.  I was checking out a free trial of Photomatix this evening and now I'm wondering which one would better for my situation.  I like the photo stacking option on Enfuse, that could be really useful.  I'm still kind of surprised that Canon wouldn't have a label for it's HDR images.  It makes it real hard to figure out which is which when there are several shots of the same scene, but, whatever.  If you have any take on which is better between Enfuse and Photomatix, I would like to hear your input.  Do you know if Enfuse has the "ghosting" option on it?  Thanks again for your help.

• 7. Re: Help with HDR
                      BKKDon Level 4

Mjm wrote:

Thank you very much the reply.  That helps a lot and thanks for the heads up on the Enfuse.  I was checking out a free trial of Photomatix this evening and now I'm wondering which one would better for my situation.  I like the photo stacking option on Enfuse, that could be really useful.  I'm still kind of surprised that Canon wouldn't have a label for it's HDR images.  It makes it real hard to figure out which is which when there are several shots of the same scene, but, whatever.  If you have any take on which is better between Enfuse and Photomatix, I would like to hear your input.  Do you know if Enfuse has the "ghosting" option on it?  Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

My personal preference is to try and take a good image and then extract detail from the highlights and the shadows without reverting to blending.

But when I need to, although I like the 32bit TIF files produced by CS6 because it gives greater dynamic range to work on later, my personal preference is LR/Enfuse ... primarily because it gives a far more natural result for indoor architectural work than others I have used. But LR/Enfuse doesn't have a "deghosting" function as most of the others do.

I also have NIK HDR Efex Pro but I only ever use that when i need to remove ghosting from an image.

I believe that, industry wise at least, Photomatrix is considered the leader in HDR composition.

• 8. Re: Help with HDR
                        Davinski007

Guys,

I use HDR Effects pro 2 to create HDR files in Adobe Lightroom.

Just install it, and it will show up when you right click your 3 images, when you click on Export.

It's very easy.

Regards

David

http://www.localterror.com

• 9. Re: Help with HDR
                          ~IanB~ Level 1

I take a blank photo at the end of the sequence for a hdr/panorama. The blank photo could be a blurry image or a hand

That way it's easy to see where those special images are.

• 10. Re: Help with HDR
                            Mjm Level 1

Very good idea! Thank you, that helps! It's always the simplest of things that seem to get passed by 

• 11. Re: Help with HDR
                              Mjm Level 1

Thanks for the heads up...I'll check it out...Do you know if the HDR Effects  Pro2 does image stacking and panoramic? Thanks

• 12. Re: Help with HDR
                                Mjm Level 1

I'm with you on that ...the HDR thing is out of hand.You can always tell when somebody finds that feature on their camera..I have to admit it looks pretty cool on certain things...I saw a wedding picture of a bride with the groom in the background (it was supposed to be HDR) and it created a very realistic look, that was AMAZINGLY crisp and detailed! I assume that's what HDR is really intended to do, but I cant really find how to do that, just the saturated, blown out images...Do you know anything about this? Thanks!

• 13. Re: Help with HDR
                                  BKKDon Level 4

Mjm wrote:

Thanks for the heads up...I'll check it out...Do you know if the HDR Effects  Pro2 does image stacking and panoramic? Thanks

Hi,

HDR Efex Pro 2 is a fully featured app that will align images, de-ghost images and tone map them but it will not do image stacking (i.e. as PS does) or compose panoramas. For composing Panoramas I use Hugin ( see it at Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher ) when I want a better job than CS6 can do.

One bonus with HDR Efex Pro 2 ( and you can see the help here Nik Collection Help ) is that as it is part of the NIK Collection Suite you also get Analog Efex Pro, Color Efex Pro, Dfine, Sharpner Pro, Silver Efex Pro and Viveza as part of the suite ... my personal opinion is that Silver Efex Pro and Viveza on their own are worth the investment.

I believe though that PhotoMatrix is the industry standard for HDR processing as recently it introduced Contrast Mapping ...

You really need to try them yourself as that is the only way you will find out what suits you.

• 14. Re: Help with HDR
                                    BKKDon Level 4

Someone also mentioned to me there was a new Open project Luminance HDR, see it at Luminance HDR

• 15. Re: Help with HDR
                                      Mjm Level 1

Thanks for the help!

• 16. Re: Help with HDR
                                        Davinski007 Level 1

Mjm,

It all depends how far you adjust the HDR effect.. you can go from nicely to unrealistic. Especially if you only use the default preset adjustments and not manually play with it yourself.

Do a few HDR photos and you will get the hang of it and start making your own manually, without needing the preset settings. Found some nice HDR images on http://www.chrisroubis.com.au that are over done, and some that are just right and realistic.

regards

David
                                        http://www.localterror.com

• 17. Re: Help with HDR
                                          ~IanB~ Level 1

I have found HDR Efex Pro 2 can do wonders with a single image