1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 31, 2014 4:28 AM by dj_paige

How to connect external BACKUP photo's to catalog on internal SSD.

nagol5178SN Level 1

Here is the deal, catalog on internal SSD, photo's on an external  drive. Photo's then backed up on another external drive. When using the back up drive, how do I get the catalog to see the pictures without having to tell it to find all of those photo's? What if I had 4TB worth of photo's? If I had to use the back up drive I'd have to go through all those folders and tell it where they all are? I have them laid out exactly the same on both drives. I like to work from different drives at different times. The portable drive isn't as powerful so I like to work on desktop drive when at home.

Would it be better for me to just keep the catalog on the external drive that way I can just drag the catalog with the new changes over to the other drive and vice versa depending on which one I'm using? That is what I have been doing and it works perfectly. But I wanted to try putting the catalog on the SSD since it would be faster and just letting google drive allow it to show up on both computers. But no matter what I try, I seem to have to work from one hard drive. If I work from the other one it makes me tell it where each and every photo is located.

• 1. Re: How to connect external BACKUP photo's to catalog on internal SSD.
          dj_paige Level 9

When using the back up drive, how do I get the catalog to see the pictures without having to tell it to find all of those photo's? What if I had 4TB worth of photo's?

All you should have to do is the give the backup drive the exact same Letter (on Windows) or exact same name (on Mac) as the drive that held the original photos.

I like to work from different drives at different times. The portable drive isn't as powerful so I like to work on desktop drive when at home.

I don't understand this. You would normally create a backup of your photos, and then let them sit there, unused and untouched, in case of emergency. The idea of actually using a backup as the "originals" on occasions seems dangerous to me. Furthermore, I don't understand "drive isn't as powerful", the speed of an external drive is almost trivial with respect to Lightroom performance, I doubt you'd see a difference in performance between the two drives (assuming "powerful" means speed, is that what you mean?)