7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 8:33 AM by San74

After Effects Error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values

willyb1111@aol.com Level 1

Hi gang! Has anyone had this error on After Effects CC2014. Installed Red Giant software updates and film convert updates and now after effects will not release this error and function. Help!

• 1. Re: After Effects Error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first two questions that come to mind are: Which Red Giant Effects or plug-ins are in the comp that is crashing? Does the crash happen with you try and open AE?

If your AE is up to date, like mine is, and your Red Giant Plug-ins are all up to date (I have most of them), at least on my system, OSX 10.9.4, everything is working fine. Without comp (if a comp  is crashing AE), system, and version details no one can guess what's going wrong.

• 2. Re: After Effects Error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response. It's tough to tell exactly what is causing the crash. It appears to be isolated to one external drive at this time. I spent the night uninstalling all RedGiant plugins (I have most) and still received the error. I then uninstalled After Effects and reinstalled. No luck. There is very little about this error on the web. Here's the interesting thing.  I can create After Effects projects with no issue. However, when I attempt to open projects I worked on as recently as the day before or month before on this particular external drive I get the error message. I then attempted to open older projects on a different external drive without issue. So even though I have over 500 gig of space available on a drive that is two months old, my fear is that the drive may have an issue. I have cleaned and relocated the media and disk cache but still get the error message. Of coarse all of this is happening at the worst time, as I have a project due on Tuesday.

The exact error message is After Effects error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values (29::36)

• 3. Re: After Effects Error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values

It appears to be isolated to one external drive at this time

Copy the files to another drive and try again. This tells me that it's not a problem with the Red Giant plug-ins, it's a problem with the drive or the connection. The files may be corrupted. Bits could be dropped when the project is opened. If media is stored on another drive then the connection between drives may be failing.

• 4. Re: After Effects Error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values

Thanks again Rick. I tried that just now after a long day of frustration. I copied 3 recent projects to my desktop and the same issue. Because I uninstalled all the red giant plugins last night and still got the error, it could be any number of things. I also installed Plural Eyes and an update to Fim Convert Pro. Here's the interesting thing. I copied a small project that I knew would open in a comp that only contains two layers (as opposed to the dozens of layers in a typical comp) and I still get the message. The error message will not go away and I am forced to shutdown my macbook pro by forcing a hard shut down (yikes) so I can't see what effect, if any is applied. I'm off to restart again and will attempt to allocate cache to another drive.

Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 9.12.07 PM.png

• 5. Re: After Effects Error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values

Hey Rick! Just had the Aha moment...

After clearing 150 gb of of drive space, uninstalling and reinstalling, allocating cache, etc it appears to be the latest build of Film Convert Pro. I have uninstalled and reached out to the crew at Rubber Monkey.

Thanks of your help. Off to sleep...

• 6. Re: After Effects Error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values

3rd party video codec packs and converters are often a problem with AE and Premiere Pro. If I had known that you had a non standard video converter installed it would have been the first thing I would thought of. I'll add Rubber Monkey to my list of cranky software.

• 7. Re: After Effects Error: attempt to get a value from a time stream with no key values
                      San74 Level 1

That's brilliant! Thank you very much !!!

Due to this error, and lack of information on it I deleted a bunch of old projects (thinking they are lost forever).

Jesus, I need to stop using so many third-party plug-ins

So, the solution is: remove the plugin from the system, open a project, remove the layer with the plugin and save it ..,

close the program. Reinstall the plug-in, open the project and add the effect again.

Save.

And everything works as before.