2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2014 10:57 PM by Mylenium

shape gradient

Arrakis Level 1

When I create a gradient on a shape layer using the shapes own gradient fill, If I move the shape the gradient stays where it is.   Why does this happen and how do I keep the gradient so that it stays on the shape if I move it.

• 1. Re: shape gradient
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The layer transform tools will move the entire shape layer including any effects you apply like Gradient Ramp. If you applied Gradient ramp to a Shape layer and you use the Shape Object (path, polestar, etc.,) transform tools to move the shape on the layer then the Gradient Ramp will not move.

If, on the other hand, you have properly selected a gradient fill and the gradient start and end points are based on the shape and will move with the shape transform controls as well as the layer transform controls.

If you are experiencing something different then you need to send us a screenshot of your shape layer with all properties revealed.

Here's what a normal shape with a gradient fill would look like. You can see the start and end points when Gradient is selected and the shape transform controls:

Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 9.37.27 PM.png

The only way I can think of that would give you a gradient fill that didn't move with the shape would be to use some weird combination of Merge Paths and place the gradient below the Merge.

• 2. Re: shape gradient
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The behavior of such stuff depends on where in the shape layer hierarchy it is applied. If it doesn't move, then it isn't constrained by the shape, meaning it's not in the right group. Half the success of shape layers is organizing them properly and not dumbly just slap in things there.

Mylenium