• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a "Keep with Next" feature in RoboHelp?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have RoboHelp 10.  The page break before or after is not what I need because I don't want a page break if the text is in the middle of the page.  I just want a low-level heading to stay with the following paragraph if it is at the bottom of a page.  I don't want to use one of the official "Heading 4", 5, or 6 headings because in this document I need to have different indentations.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Sorry but there is no equivalent in the HTML but when you send the content to Word it is different. If you map to a Word template and in that you have set up Keep with Next, then it should work. I haven't tested this but I'm reasonably confident it will be OK.

If you are not familiar with mapping to a template, see Printed Documentation on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Reading between the lines here, I'm guessing you are referring to creating printed documentation?

If so, I'll move this thread to that forum category.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am referring to printed doc. I should have put that in my post. If you would please move it I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Diane Heald

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but there is no equivalent in the HTML but when you send the content to Word it is different. If you map to a Word template and in that you have set up Keep with Next, then it should work. I haven't tested this but I'm reasonably confident it will be OK.

If you are not familiar with mapping to a template, see Printed Documentation on my site.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thank you for your help.  That worked great.  I created a style in RoboHelp in the HTML editor called "KeepWithNext", but of course it did not have an attribute that said for it to actually keep with next in printed documentation.  Then I modified my template that I use for printed documentation and added a "KeepWithNext" style, but this time since it was a Microsoft Word template, I could specify the option of "Keep With Next".  I then specified that template when building my printed documentation.  The two styles automatically mapped to each other.  The printed documentation, Word doc, looked great and the Keep With Next function worked great.

Thanks!!!  This will save me many hours of looking for a line at the bottom of the page that should be with the next page.  Of course if you use Heading 1, Heading 2, etc., they automatically KeepWithNext, but for some minor headings, I don't want to use one of those standard Heading styles.

Thank you,

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2014 Sep 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Peter, but there is a page bread property in CSS (though you will have to add it to the CSS manually). Check it out: CSS Page-break-after Property

This property obviously only applies to printed output. (When you print a web page. Not to be confused with the Printed Documentation SSL.)

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam. Page Break and Keep with Next are not the same thing. If the poster adds a page break anywhere, that Page Break will always be in the same place and it does work if they print the page from the webhelp, as well as carrying through to printed documentation.

The problem with page break is it will always be where the author puts it so they have to test it after adding content before it. Otherwise they will have some very odd printing. That scenario will also carry through to Printed Documentation where the problem will be the same issue but at a different point because of the difference in how much fits on the page.

Keep with Next is strictly on the Word side. The logic of that is if paragraph A has that property, then when paragraph B would otherwise be on the next page, Word will keep it with the next paragraph and both will be on the same page. Typically you only use it with heading styles.

Keep with Next is sensitive to paper size as all it is concerned with is that the two paragraphs are on the same page, be that at the bottom or the top. Compared with that, Page Break is a blunt tool.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're, of course, right about the difference. But in CSS, the difference is smaller. If you set page-break: avoid; you forbid the browser from making a page break directly after the element, making is very similar to keep with next. You can also use it to force a page break as you would in Word. In CSS, it's one property doing both things. But it won't be copied over to Printed Documentation SSL.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you would add page-break: avoid; to the heading definition, correct?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Precisely. That will keep it with the next content. (If possible. I you have a paragraph of exactly 1A4 that may not break over a page, there may still be a page break, same as in Word.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp