6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2014 6:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Facebook mixed format content export error

imxcam

Can anyone tell me why the facebook exporter doesn't work correctly? I have mixed content on my timeline some 4:3 and some widescreen.  I have scaled the widescreen content up to achieve a pan and scan effect within my SD 4:3 project. In my timeline I get a full frame 4:3 project but when I export to facebook the file is widescreen with a mix between 4:3 and 16:9 content.  It doesn't reflect what I have in my rendered timeline previews.  Am I doing something wrong?

• 1. Re: Facebook mixed format content export error
          imxcam Level 1

BTW I am using version 12

• 2. Re: Facebook mixed format content export error
            A.T. Romano Level 7

imxcam

What is your Premiere Elements 12 project preset? Did you set it manually (File Menu/New/Project) or did the project set it for you automatically based on the properties of the first video that you dragged to the Expert workspace Timeline? In either case, please tell us what is shown under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if the fields look grayed out.

1. What are the properties of video 1 other than 4:3?

2. What are the properties of video 2 other than 16:9?

3. What preset did you select under Publish+Share/Social Websites/Facebook for the upload?

Once I get all your information and depending what is reveals, I will probably be asking you to export that exact Timeline to a file saved

to the computer hard drive and from there have you upload the file to Facebook at the Facebook web site to determine that outcome.

We will be watching for your details which will help us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...just in case note...Timeline rendering does not affect end product. It is essentially just a preview matter in the Edit area of the program.

• 3. Re: Facebook mixed format content export error
              imxcam Level 1

1.video 1 is 640x480 square pixel

2. video 2 is 1920x1080 square pixel

3. facebook preset is PAL SD

when I export to a file and then upload that to facebook I have no issues. However this is not the point and doubles the time it takes to achieve my desired outcome. This is THE reason I purchased the software eg. to edit mixed content and export directly to facebook. Currently not impressed that the preview counts for nothing.  I should reiterate that the file that I am expecting would be a full frame 4:3 SD exactly as I get in my previews.  The outcome is a widescreen file with the clipped content of the HD footage visible and the 4:3 content now vertically letterboxed.

please tell me a) why the previews don't match the export (as they do with the export to a file) and b) why theoretically cropped content is visible in the facebook export.

if this workflow doesn't work then I would like my money back.

Kind regards

• 4. Re: Facebook mixed format content export error
                A.T. Romano Level 7

imxcam

First, I suspect that you do not realize that you are not communicating with Adobe here. Rather user to user. That the way this forum works.

If you purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe and you are within 30 days of purchase, you can contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat to work out the details of a refund. If you purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 12 from an authorized reseller then to contact that reseller to determine it own return policy.

I will gladly try to figure this out to determine what is going on. I will work through your details to see if I can reproduce the same results that you are reporting.

To do that, I need

1. The project preset that has been established for your Premiere Elements project

a. Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out.

b. You tell me that video one is 640 x 480. Does that have a frame rate of 29.97/30 progressive frames per second?

c. You tell me that video two is 1920 x 1080. What is the frame rate as well as interlaced or progressive?

d. Facebook Preset - PAL SD. I am OK with that.

The answers will be in your details.

Please let us know which way you want to go on this - help from us in this forum or you contacting Adobe about a refund?

We will be watching for your decision.

ATR

Add On...what were the export choices and settings that you used to take your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive, followed by upload of that file to Facebook?

• 5. Re: Facebook mixed format content export error
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

imxcam

I am working on your situation and will post the results in this thread whether or not you decide to stay with Premiere Elements.

If you get back to this thread before I do and have decided you want a refund for a product purchased from Adobe direct, then the following

is the link that I suggest you follow to get to the Adobe Chat Panel.

http://helpx.adobe.com/sea/contact.html?step=PRE_membership-account-payment_payments-invoi ces-orders_stillNeedHelp

I have set it to the refund spot, but, if the link does not hold its set, then you will have to navigate to Chat Panel using the following titles as guides

Premiere Elements

Membership, Account, Payment

Payments, Invoices, Orders

Chat Panel

ATR

• 6. Re: Facebook mixed format content export error
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

imxcam

If you have the time and want to help me try to unravel this puzzle, then

1. Could you create a new Premiere Elements 12 project and manually set the project preset to

File Menu/New/Project Change Settings

Under Change Settings set for

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

Before closing out of there with this 640 x 480 @29.97 progressive frames per second setting, make sure

that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting On This Project". Close out of there.

2. In Expert workspace, import your 640 x 480 video into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag

the video to the Timeline Video Track 1.

3. Upload that Timeline with only the 640 x 480 footage to Facebook with your PAL SD preset (Publish+Share/Social Websites/Facebook)

Does the video present on Facebook with black borders to the right and left of the images?

I know that the YouTube web site uses a 16:9 player and if you upload SD to it, the SD presents with black borders. I am trying to find out

what type of player Facebook uses. I am guessing the same.

But, what is not falling into place is the fact that you say that your Timeline exported to file (4:3) uploads to Facebook at the Facebook web site as 4:3 without black borders. That is the wrinkle that I am trying to iron out.

ATR