11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 1:17 PM by alexdejesus

NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?

alexdejesus Level 1

I just built a new system for video editing with Adobe CC 2014 including both the Quadro K4000 AND the GeForce GTX780 DirectCU II OC graphics cards. I was wondering what are the best settings in the NVidia control panel for apps such as Premiere Pro, After Effects, Speedgrade, Encore, etc. I see that there are global settings and app specific settings.

One question I have concerns the CUDA cores. Should I select one graphics card over the other or use the global (all) setting? How does that work? For CUDA, if I select Global, does the system decide automatically which card to use or does it combine the CUDA cores of both cards?? Seems like an important distinction.

Also, I have two monitors: ASUS PA279 (2560x1440) and a JVC PS-420W (1920x1080) How should these be connected to the computer for best performance and picture quality? Should I use DVI or HDMI connections?

And, of course, the Quadro K4200 just appeared on the market, which offers almost double the CUDA cores and 4 GB RAM instead of 3 GB on the K4000. Should I return the K4000 and replace with the K4200? price difference not much.

The rest of my system includes:

Processor - Intel i7-4930k 6-core 3.4 GHz

Motherboard - ASUS P9X79-E WS

RAM - Corsair Dominator 2133 DDR3 64 GB

System drive - Intel SSD 530 Series 240 GB

Storage - WD Black 16TB (4x4TB) RAID 0

UPDATE - I wrote to PNY because it's their Quadro K4000 card, and this was their reply to me:

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for using our NVIDIA Quadro by PNY professional graphics boards, and for contacting PNY Quadro Support.

Our NVIDIA Quadro K4000 is an excellent choice for supporting Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 for video editing. 

Forgive me, but we do not recommend installing Quadro and GeForce graphics boards together in the same configuration.  That does not mean that you cannot do it, and honestly, in Windows 7, it may actually be OK to have both cards installed (each with its own driver), but we still do not recommend it, and do not support it. 

Furthermore, I support Quadro products only, not GeForce products, so I do not have a lot more to say about the GeForce card, other than to say that GeForce cards are intended for use supporting games and home use, while Quadro graphics boards are intended for use in workstations, supporting professional applications such as Adobe Creative Cloud 2014.

I recommend installing the Quadro K4000 into the primary (top) PCIe x16 slot, and to install the latest ODE graphics driver for it:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77637/en-us

I recommend using the default settings in NVIDIA control panel.  The system will use the card in the primary slot. While Adobe CC applications are multi-GPU aware, and designed to automatically use the second GPU to improve performance, I feel more confident that you will see a benefit by using a second Quadro card in the secondary PCIe slot.  I do not know whether Adobe CC will use the GeForce GPU to boost performance, or not (as again, this is not supported or recommended). 

For the Asus PA279, I recommend using a DisplayPort (DP) 1.2 cable (or perhaps a dual-link DVI cable) to connect it to the K4000.  I recommend using a single-link DVI cable (or perhaps a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, together with an HDMI cable) to connect the JVC PS-420W to the K4000.              

Message was edited by: Alex DeJesus

• 1. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?
          alexdejesus Level 1

This is a pretty important and relevant question for what we do. Does anyone have an answer? Also, what should my settings be in the BIOS for maximizing PCI-E speed? In the Advanced System Agent Configuration

• 3. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

That is a marketing answer from the support person. The 780GTX Geforce card would far outperform the Quadro K4000 and its the card you want to use for the GPU acceleration. The Quadro should be just the output card. Set the preferred CUDA GPU in the Nvidia control panel to the 780GTX card. You have to set it in the Global settings and under the program settings in the Nvidia control panel for each program. Set the board to Gen 3 for those slots. And just so people are aware, the realtime rendering of Games pushes the GPU's far more and over a far longer consistent time frame than GPU acceleration currently does in the media content applications.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?
              alexdejesus Level 1

What a stubborn machine! Whenever I set the CUDA setting to GTX780 and hit 'Apply' it would jump back to the Quadro. Even after changing the Global setting to the GTX780 and back to Premiere it would do that. After a few times, it finally changed to what I wanted. Now Premiere, AE and Speedgrade are set to GTX780 for CUDA. However, there is a graph that shows GPU Utilization and it shows the Quadro still doing the brunt of the work - about 50-60% compared to the GTX at 5-8%. I suppose that's a different setting I need to change?

I had both monitors connected to the Quadro. I just put the 2nd display on the GTX. Does it matter? And does it matter what connector type - HDMI, DVI, etc.?

I set the BIOS to Gen 3 for the slots that the GPUs are in. And enabled 'Above 4G Decoding'. That Quadro is a PCI E 2.0 card. I see a 'little bit' of performance improvement playing back 3 layers of video with effects Magic Bullet Looks and different blending modes. It does not like the Neat Video noise reducer and some of the other effects, though. Still pretty crippled. Maybe a hard drive issue? I've got a 4 x 4 TB RAID 0 WD Black series on the onboard controller. 64 GB RAM is plenty.

• 5. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?

You want both monitors connected to the Quadro card. Adobe by default selects the Video card with the primary display. You have to make sure the Cuda GPU settings in the Nvidia control under each application is set to the Geforce only. Make sure the Quadro is deselected. If it still doesn't then try deleting the CUDA support list in Premiere and see if that will force it to follow the Nvidia control.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?
                  alexdejesus Level 1

I just saw the Quadro K4200 and ordered it to replace the K4000. For the small price difference, I'll take 4 GB over 3 and twice the CUDA cores.

• 7. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?

Yes but the 780GTX card still has far better specs especially memory bandwidth. So you still will want the Geforce to be the GPU acceleration card.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?
                      alexdejesus Level 1

Eric, with just the GTX780 installed, performance is about the same. What do I even need the Quadro for? 10-bit color grading I suppose. Anyway, I have the K4200 on the way at not a big expense. Maybe I can put it into the streaming kit? It's small profile. I sent you an email, by the way

• 9. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?

The Quadro is for 10Bit color on output. That is the only benefit with Adobe.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?
                          ljhbti@btinternet.com Level 1

Sorry to hijack your original post Alex but this discussion is very near to my heart also. A few months ago I was debating whether to go down the Quadro and Geforce combined route for Adobe CC s/w and to a lesser extent SolidWorks. At that time Eric suggested that the 780 would far out perform the k4000 on most levels. The only benefit to the K4000 was 10 bit colour depth and a more robust driver set.

Eric, if you are still around, would I benefit from combining the GTX 780 [which I have] with a K2200. As suggested in this discussion, I would connect my Monitors to the K2200. If there would be no tangible benefit I will ignore the K2200 and run with the 780, which is great for Premiere and also PS.

For completeness, in my new WS build  [currently awaiting h/w availability] I will utilize:

Intel i7 5960K

Asus X99-E WS

G.Skill 2133 DDR4 32Gb

SSD's for OS, APPS and Cache

LJ

• 11. Re: NVidia Settings for Two Different Graphics Cards?
                            alexdejesus Level 1

I just ordered the Quadro K4200 that just hit the market. And pulled oud the K4000 while I'm waiting for it. I'm hoping the extra 1GB RAM might help. But So far, the GTX780 seems to be performing quite well on its own. In fact, I see no real hit in performance at all compared with both cards installed. But then again, I may not have had my settings correct to begin with.

I Expect with both cards I should have smooth preview playback for the most part, and faster renders. If not, then I am at a loss.