7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 7:17 AM by Davinski007

Why is importing an image so hard in lightroom.

Davinski007

Why is importing an image so hard in Lightroom.

Can't it be as simple as Adobe Photoshop?

Please Adobe make Lightroom more user friendly for importing or opening images.

regards

David
      http://www.localterror.com

• 1. Re: Why is importing an image so hard in lightroom.
          D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Im not sure what problem you are having.

Importing images into Lightroom is not difficult and the process is not designed to be like Photoshop.

Photoshop opens images and close them.

Lightroom catalogs them. The images can remain in their current location or can be copied or moved to a new location. From there they can be edited using Camera Raw controls.

One doesnt actually "open" and image in Lightroom.

Perhaps you could clarify the problem you are experiencng

• 2. Re: Why is importing an image so hard in lightroom.
            areohbee Level 5

Easiest way (in my opinion) - drag (from explorer/finder) and drop on library grid (which opens import dialog box). You still have to review settings (and maybe choose an import preset), but at least the photos you want to "open" (import) will already be checked and ready to go..

As David already explained, it can't be the same as Photoshop, since you're not "opening" so much as cataloging, and Lr needs to know how you want things done.., for example folder/file naming, backup, format conversion, ...

I mean, if you just want to add in place and nothing else, then setup a "Just Add In Place And Nothing Else" import preset and use it when importing in that fashion..

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying there isn't some streamlining/optimizing that could be done, but once you learn what to do, you just do it..

• 3. Re: Why is importing an image so hard in lightroom.
              DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Hi! davinski007 you can go to the link below and view the video tutorial about the Lightroom Catalog, if will give a clear understanding about how the catalog functions.

The Lightroom Catalog | George Jardine on Lightroom | Adobe TV

Also the free Lightroom Guide Book is available at the link below.

Lightroom 5 - Free Quick Start Guide PDF eBook | The Lightroom Queen

• 4. Re: Why is importing an image so hard in lightroom.
                ~IanB~ Level 1

a little topic tip I use> when  importing new images from a camera/card  use the same destination folder like "0 new photos".

That way we always know where new files will be. After sorting/keyword/deleting/renaming/basic editing the files can be moved to their  permanent home.

David; I agree LR can be hard to understand at times; I battle with a lot of it and would have been totally lost without Scot Kelby's books. After I understand the basic then I look for subject stuff in  you tube

These might help;I have found Julieanne great .

LR3 - Two ways to Import | The Complete Picture with Julieanne Kost | Adobe TV

Lightroom 4 - Importing and Organizing Your Images | Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 | Adobe TV

Stick at it as in the end it's worth it.

another tip: turn all other programs off and work with LR only; thats the only way I could do it

• 5. Re: Why is importing an image so hard in lightroom.
                  Davinski007 Level 1

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

I notice if I try to import image, say from my desktop, it will show up, but when I try to import it or copy those images into my catalog, it never lets me do it. Copy is in white, but when I click on it, it does nothing.

The menu at the top to copy over to my catalog is there, but it just never does it. Lightroom prefers I plug in my USB card of images or plugging in my dslr instead, to import everything over.
                  Maybe its just a glitch, or a process I am not doing correctly. I will check out the tutorial and let you know how I go.

Regards

David
                  http://www.localterror.com

• 6. Re: Why is importing an image so hard in lightroom.
                    D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Its important to understand that the act of Importing can do one of four things but the result is the same in terms of cataloging a set of images.

Copy as DNG will convert a file to the DNG format AND make a copy of the original

Copy will make a copy of the file

Move will not copy the file but simply Move it

Add will neither copy or move but simply add a record to the catalog.

When you state

Copy is in white, but when I click on it, it does nothing

Nothing will happen until you press the Import button. By selecting the Copy function all you are doing is stating your intention that you want the files copied from their current location to another.

Which of the options you choose will be determined by your workflow. If the files are already in the correct location then Add would be appropriate. If they are coming from a media card then Add is not available and they have to be copied to a new location.

All Lightroom is doing is creating a link to where the file is (is going to be) and showing a preview. Nothing is brought "IN" to the program or "OPENED" by the program.

I think the term Import can be misleading because it implies movement. Cataloging is more accurate.

• 7. Re: Why is importing an image so hard in lightroom.
                      Davinski007 Level 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I advice others to install the latest version of lightroom. Since i upgraded, all has been well so far.

I have been able to add more Photos to my gallery at http://www.chrisroubis.com.au since Lightroom 5 64bit is doing the trick nicely.

Version 4 just had bugs for me..

Thanks again to everyones replies and help.