7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 7:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Can you create a custom dvd menu with Premiere Elements 12?

Kanten

I am giving this software a trial before deciding whether to buy. Is it possible to create your own custom DVD menu? I understand that you can "download" a template and customize it to some extent. But the customizing does not seem to allow you to delete or add elements, like graphics or menu buttons. I want to be able to delete graphics/menu buttons I don't want, as well as add or subtract buttons as I need for each project. Or, I would like to create a menu from scratch.

Is either method possible in Premiere Elements? Thank you for any assistance.

• 1. Re: Can you create a custom dvd menu with Premiere Elements 12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kanten

Customization is possible in the Tools Menu/Movie Menu  and the Movie Menu customization to a certain extent.

You can do extensive customization of the disc menu by editing its .psd files that are located on the computer hard drive.

Photoshop CS higher is needed for the edits of the .psd and, depending on certain circumstances, Photoshop Elements may be enough to get an .psd edit accomplished. You can create your own disc menu for Premiere Elements using Photoshop CS or higher provided you adhere to the strict requirements for doing this.

The following are some of my how tos which seem to go to what you want to do....

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-one-page-14-scene-buttons-dvd-menu.html

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Adding Movie Thumbnails To Disc Main Menu

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Scene Menu Customization/Decreasing Existing Scene Buttons Per Page

Please review and consider. There are more how tos but let us start with the above.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can you create a custom dvd menu with Premiere Elements 12?
            Kanten Level 1

Thank you for your assistance. It sounds like customization might be possible, but I have been unable to locate the files for the template. According to the directions in the top link, it should be located in...

A. In Premiere Elements Program Files (x86) locate the Family Memories Folder which contains the Family Memories DVD Template assets. In Windows 7 and 8 64 bit, the path is:

Local Disc C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements 10

DVD Templates

Common

Memories

Family Memories

I would like to note that I first "downloaded" the Family Memories template into my project and saved it. However the only folder located in the Common folder is "Slideshows". I was able to locate similar files at

C\Program Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Online\DVD Templates\All_Lang\Memories\Family Memories

But manipulations of these files did not show up in my project. Please note that I am using Premiere Elements 12.0, and am working on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. I have created menus in Encore/Photoshop CS5 and should be able to edit the menu file if I can just find it.

Thanks again for your assistance with this. There seems to be almost no information regarding this, and I will gladly point people in your direction if you can help me with this.

• 3. Re: Can you create a custom dvd menu with Premiere Elements 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Kanten

Thanks for the reply.

Although the principles of what needs to be done to customize menus is the same, finding of the files needs special attention.

The locations can be version dependent when it comes to versions 11 and 12 and its "Content Download" situation as compared to

that of versions earlier than 11. The path that you cited was for the demo of the principles using version 10.

Please see blog post on Content Download as it relates to Premiere Elements 11 and 12 and the paths to the Memories Category Folder and Family Memories Theme Folder.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: No Content Disc - Content Downloads from Adobe

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Memories

Family Memories

I have had in preparation a list of disc menus folders/files locations for Premiere Elements 4 through 12 to supplement my disc menu blog posts 2013 to present, either as a standalone blog post or as an add on to all my existing disc menu blog posts. That information should be published within the week. Until then, please do not hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification.

Please let me know if you are OK with the information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can you create a custom dvd menu with Premiere Elements 12?
                FTL2063

If you are using Macintosh I would recommend using iDVD.   With iDVD you can quickly and easily make highly customized menus with moving graphics if you desire. It's simple and easy-to-use.  I've never read the manual and I can make DVDs as good as Hollywood !

• 5. Re: Can you create a custom dvd menu with Premiere Elements 12?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

FTL2063

Kanten is obviously using Premiere Elements 12 Windows as per Kanten's mention of Program Files (x86) search?

I am strictly an Elements Windows users, so I have not worked with iDVD. I tried to do some homework on iDVD to better reply to your post. Quick search brought up....

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA267/en_US/iDVD_08_Getting_Started.pdf

Could you elaborate on adding or removing buttons in iDVD? Does the concept of designed in buttons exist for already designed iDVD disc menu templates or is it that the user drops in a file into a menu and a button materializes? Also, could you share your Premiere Elements 12 Mac iDVD workflow in that

a. what file you export your Timeline to in order to bring into into iDVD

b. adding buttons

c. use of Premiere Elements 12 menu markers in the iDVD experience.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can you create a custom dvd menu with Premiere Elements 12?
                    Kanten Level 1

ATR,

(Note to all: I am using Windows. No Apples.)

Thank you for sticking with me and trying to help. I really appreciate it.

I think I figured out the problem I was having yesterday. Although I had located the menu templates, I had been unable to change them in my project. Apparently Adobe hides the menu template file after it has been altered in a Premiere Elements project (and then saved) in a location I can't find or in a file the user can't easily open and edit. Or maybe it just saves the changes and then reconstructs the file every time you open the project.

In any case, I have discovered that I can edit the templates and then bring them into my project. So long as I save them as the same name, Adobe Premiere Elements doesn't realize that anything has changed. It seems that Photoshop Elements restricts the user from editing within the buttons (groups), but I can do what I like with Photoshop.

If I am missing any tricks here, please let me know. I still think it would be nice to edit the menus AFTER they have been brought in and saved in a project.

Also, I have one more question regarding menus in Premiere Elements. Are you restricted to the two menu (main menu-chapter menu) structure? Or can you just have a main menu? Or several chapter/sub menus?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

• 7. Re: Can you create a custom dvd menu with Premiere Elements 12?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Kanten

Thanks for the reply.

You can go with a one main menu set up and use main menu buttons. But, note that there are typically far less buttons on the main menu than on the scene menu. One maneuver is to switch the main menu with the scene menu to gain a buttons per page advantage. That is done by reversing the file names of the main menu .psd and scene menu .psd.

At the editing of the .psd level, there is also the choice to add more buttons per page to a scene menu and create text or thumbnail scene buttons.

One of the principles to keep in mind...no one movie in a multi movie Timeline can have its own Scene Menu page.

Of concern....you should have more flexibility than

In any case, I have discovered that I can edit the templates and then bring them into my project. So long as I save them as the same name, Adobe Premiere Elements doesn't realize that anything has changed.

Are you following any one of my blog posts. If so, please let me know which one so I can focus in where you may be overlooking some detail. It is best to work with copies of the original and place them in appropriate folders in the directory structure. In doing that I give the user created menu a new name to distinguish it from the original.

And, in versions 11 and 12,  I do not like to save user modified menus in the Online Folder. I prefer the location where the disc menu installed with the program is located. See blog posts.

If your customization does not require the opening of Layer Sets in the Layers Palette of the .psd file (happens under certain plans), Photoshop Elements can do the .psd edit job for you, and you do not have to go to Photoshop CS or higher. There are Photoshop actions that might be used in Photoshop Elements to open Photoshop Layer Sets (as found in the disc menu .psd files), but I will not get into that right now.

Please review and consider. And, then we can go into more details.

Thanks.

ATR