6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 7:18 AM by A.T. Romano

Can not use Cross Fade in imported 20 minutes movie (PE12)

Stephan-Katka

Hello,

Last time i succeeded in combining two different projects in Premiere Elements 12 (windows) using Clipmate. With many thanks to ATR. After i succeeded, i also imported a 20 minutes trimmed movie that i made and saved with pinnacle studio 17. I saved it as mpg with the same settings as the project in Elements 12. Before i inserted the movie from the Project Asset, i first right-clicked it and choosed the ANALYSE function. This analysed part i inserted in to the project. Now i was able to see the different scenes and i could start working on the complete movie.

But strange enough the Cross Dissolve transition (and many others) was not working on the scenes from the analysed (20 minutes) part. (some transitions did work, like Page Peel). It was also not possible anymore to right-click a transition and "Set selected as default transition". Instead it said something like "Choose the length of the standard transition".

Does anyone know this problem why the cross dissolve does not work in a analysed movie?

Again many thanks already for your time in reading and answering.

Stephan

• 1. Re: Can not use Cross Fade in imported 20 minutes movie (PE12)
          Stephan-Katka Level 1

Hello,

Here i am again. Does no one had this problem before?

Thanks, Stephan

• 2. Re: Can not use Cross Fade in imported 20 minutes movie (PE12)
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Stephen

Just saw your thread. I am working on your question and putting together the answer.

Back soon.

ATR.

• 3. Re: Can not use Cross Fade in imported 20 minutes movie (PE12)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Stephen

Part 2 of your question regarding

It was also not possible anymore to right-click a transition and "Set selected as default transition". Instead it said something like "Choose the length of the standard transition".

Please use the following routine....

Click on the Transitions Tab at the bottom of the Expert workspace to open the display of transitions.

Right click ON the transition that you want as the default transition. And, then click on the "Set Selected As Default Transition" pop up that appears.

The key is to right click ON the transition not select the transition and then right click on an area below the display of thumbnails.

If you highlight the transition thumbnail that you want, but right click below the thumbnails, you will get the pop up "Default Transition Duration", which if you click on, will take you to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the settings which include Video Transition Default Duration and Audio Transition Default Duration.

Please review the above and let us know if you are OK with the details on this now.

Back soon for the answer to Part 1 of your question.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can not use Cross Fade in imported 20 minutes movie (PE12)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Stephen

Part 2

Whether or not a transition works can depend on the frames at the end of the first clip and the frames that are at the beginning of the second clip and whether or not there are enough of these frames (handles) to make a given transition work with a given clip pair. All the details of how Premiere Elements transitions work can be found in

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Video Transitions - Part 2 How They Work

But to cut to the bottom line here, in order to get the Cross Dissolve transition to work with those AutoAnalzyer split clips, you are going to have to trim some frames from the end edge of the first clip and/or the beginning edge of the second clip. You can do this trim of a few edge frame by using the scissors tool to chop off those frames. Then apply your transition between the 2 edges including

Decide if you need to alter the transition duration

Decide on the transition alignment that best suits your purposes (Left Clip, Between Clips, Right Clip).

Render the Timeline content to see what that looks like

But the key to the problem that your presented is to trim the edges of the clips involved in order to give the transition enough "handles" to make the transition work.

Please review, then we can discuss this further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Can not use Cross Fade in imported 20 minutes movie (PE12)
                  Stephan-Katka Level 1

Hello ATR,

Many thanks for your answers and excuse me for answering so late. .

About your answers:

You said:

• Click on the Transitions Tab at the bottom of the Expert workspace to open the display of transitions. Right click ON the transition that you want as the default transition. And, then click on the "Set Selected As Default Transition" pop up that appears. The key is to right click ON the transition not select the transition and then right click on an area below the display of thumbnails.

This is exactly what i did, but it did not worked in that project. In an other project it did work. Anyway i left it that way and won't spent anymore time to that problem.

Your second answer:

• But to cut to the bottom line here, in order to get the Cross Dissolve transition to work with those AutoAnalzyer split clips, you are going to have to trim some frames from the end edge of the first clip and/or the beginning edge of the second clip. You can do this trim of a few edge frame by using the scissors tool to chop off those frames. Then apply your transition between the 2 edges including

I havent thought about this and i'll try.

Many thanks again. I'll close the topic.

Stephan

• 6. Re: Can not use Cross Fade in imported 20 minutes movie (PE12)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Stephan

Thanks for the follow up.

If you need to re-open the topic, please never hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR