9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2007 12:20 PM by Newsgroup_User

which swf can be imported to stage?

Level 7
      what are the restrictions as to which swf file can be imported to the
      library.
      I am asking because sone swf would not get imported. In sense that when
      importing them nothing happens. Now error is issued and nothing get imported

• 1. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
          Greg Dove Level 4
          If you look under File - Publish settings - Flash tab, you will see that there is a publish setting that you can set for 'protect from import'. Its a simple form of protection for published swfs.

If you weren't the original author of the swf, then perhaps that was set by the author of the swf you're trying to import. Or maybe it was obfuscated by a third party tool, I would assume that causes a few problems importing too.
          • 2. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
            Level 7
            I did this swf and I use no third party tool. I have relevant fla but in my
            FLASH8-->File - Publish settings - Flash tab but I can't see there anything
            dealing with 'protect from import' - where exactly is it?

tab"GWD" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:evqt59$s12$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > If you look under File - Publish settings - Flash tab, you will see that
            there
            > is a publish setting that you can set for 'protect from import'. Its a
            simple
            > form of protection for published swfs.
            >
            > If you weren't the original author of the swf, then perhaps that was set
            by
            > the author of the swf you're trying to import. Or maybe it was obfuscated
            by a
            > third party tool, I would assume that causes a few problems importing too.
            >

• 3. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
              Greg Dove Level 4
              maybe its switched on by default for you...

Here's the livedocs reference...see point #5. That should help you find it.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/8/main/00000806.html#wp73409
              • 4. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
                Level 7
                this just repeats the entries I have in the FLASH tab and no mentioning of
                'protect from import' at all.
                Under which entry do you have it?
                Are you FLASH-8 or otherwise?

"GWD" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:evquin$ch$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > maybe its switched on by default for you...
                >
                > Here's the livedocs reference...see point #5. That should help you find
                it.
                >
                > http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/8/main/00000806.html#wp73409

• 5. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
                  Greg Dove Level 4
                  Its one of the check box options in the flash tab... and yes I'm using flash 8 Professional.
                  Look at the list of check boxes underneath the Actionscript version combox. Its in the list of options...generate size report... protect from import.

• 6. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
                    Greg Dove Level 4
                    Just to be clear... this is a publish setting... it won't help you import a swf that was previously published with this setting switched on. I assume that you can import the swf that you publish when its not switched on.

I can't figure out why you'd need to do this though unless you had lost the original fla and you need to make changes. If you want to use the swf in another application you can just load it in at runtime. e.g. with a Loader component or using the MovieClipLoader class in actionscript.
                    • 7. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
                      Level 7
                      I spotted it, thanks. I was unchecked, yet the swf would not import.
                      Actually I noticed this problem while ago and posted a query here, but
                      no-one reply. That time I did some experiments and it seemed that swf which
                      were made by importing graphics and placing it on stage were OK to import.
                      The swf where the graphic was placed into the library and then used
                      dynamically with attachMovie(), work fine on its own, but would not get
                      imported.

PS. For the moment I do not know the FLASH classed and I am reluctant to
                      Load at a runtime because for ceratin resons I need the published
                      application be encapsulated in a single Windows exe projector. Anyway,
                      before considering other ways I need to know what is wron with this one

"GWD" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:evr180$3bf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Just to be clear... this is a publish setting... it won't help you import
                      a swf
                      > that was previously published with this setting switched on. I assume that
                      you
                      > can import the swf that you publish when its not switched on.
                      >
                      > I can't figure out why you'd need to do this though unless you had lost
                      the
                      > original fla and you need to make changes. If you want to use the swf in
                      > another application you can just load it in at runtime. e.g. with a Loader
                      > component or using the MovieClipLoader class in actionscript.
                      >

• 8. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
                        Greg Dove Level 4
                        OK, well sounds like I've reached the limit of my knowledge on this. Perhaps others know more.

If you get stuck and no-one else comes up with the answer then I think there are some 3rd party tools that 'bundle' certain normally external resources inside the exe they create - I can't remember which ones. So you might be able to 'load' it into your main swf with actionscript or use an author-time component like the Loader component, but the external file is really bundled inside the exe - which would meet your requirement. Might be worth considering that - try googling swf projector tools or flash projector tools if you want to look at those options. I'm pretty sure I read about that at some point. Sorry I can't remember off-hand which one can do that.
                        • 9. Re: which swf can be imported to stage?
                          Level 7
                          Thanks a lot, do not worry, a solution will be found