3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 2:23 PM by A.T. Romano

transferring Premiere Elements 11 from Windows 7 to Windows 8 computer question

awgriffey2013

Do i have to use my backups to reinstall Premiere Elements correctly, or can i simply add the internal drive i used in Windows 7 strictly for Premiere, move it to the new Windows 8 computer, reinstall the Elements program, and direct it to the proper hard drive?  I have current incremental backups on a NAS drive, but it seems like i should just be able to use the internal drive that already has everything on it.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: transferring Premiere Elements 11 from Windows 7 to Windows 8 computer question
          A.T. Romano Level 7

awgriffey2013

What do you have -  purchased installation files/serial number from an online purchase from Adobe direct or installation disc with serial number purchased in boxed packaging from an authorized reseller.

If you do not plan on using 11 on Windows 7 thereafter,

Deactivate 11 on 7, Help Menu/Deactivate - close out of there

Uninstall Control Panel Route

Deactivate and uninstall are not the same thing. Depending on your plans, you may not want to uninstall, just deactivate.

You are simply going to install Premiere Elements 11 to Windows 8 computer, using installation files or installation disc.

Do you have Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 projects that you want to salvage? If so, how many? I would archive them

File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Project and transfer the Copied Folder via USB to the Windows 8 computer.

For Elements Organizer considerations, please review the following

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

At this time I have no comments on your backups on NAS and how it might relate to your end goal.

Please review the above and then let us know if any of the above works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Just in case note, Adobe allows you to install/activate the purchase serial number for a given product on no more than

2 of your computers.  Then use these same products with the same activated serial number one at a time.

• 2. Re: transferring Premiere Elements 11 from Windows 7 to Windows 8 computer question
            awgriffey2013 Level 1

I was able to install my Premiere Elements 11 without any problems through Amazon download, and serial number.  I have a dedicated Terrabyte drive for Premiere elaments that i took out of my old Windows 7 computer and installed in my new Windows 8 one.  I'm hoping that rather than deal with my backups, i can just point Premiere to the dedicated drive and everything will work like it did on my last computer.  I'm guessing i'll end up having to reinstall my backups in order to get my tags etc. to populate correctly? 

Thanks,

• 3. Re: transferring Premiere Elements 11 from Windows 7 to Windows 8 computer question
              A.T. Romano Level 7

awgriffey2013

Thanks for the reply.

Although Premiere Elements classically can be installed in other than a default C drive location, it can be a challenge doing otherwise.

There are certain features of the program which will default to certain locations no matter what you do.

And, existing saved closed projects opened on Windows 8 can run into a nasty media disconnect issue if the Project Archiver considerations do not enter into the transfer of these saved closed projects in a second computer with the same Premiere Elements version.

I do use the Elements Organizer but not on a grand scale. So, I would point you to the Adobe document on backup restore move catalog mentioned in prior post in your thread.

ATR