16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2014 11:42 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?

chemsaf Community Member

I use an HP laptop in remote locations to look at video clips and do some minor editing.  The processor is too slow to play the clips in the work space smoothly.  This makes even minor edits difficult.

I am not in a position to replace the computer and would like to find a work around

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?
          A.T. Romano Community Member

chemsaf

What computer operating system is involved? What is a description of its resources other than 1.6 GHz processor...installed and available RAM, free hard drive space, other?

We could go through the drill of making sure that the following factors are not contributing to performance which is limited by the computer specifications.

a. What are the properties of the source media and what project preset are you or the project setting to match the properties of the source media?

What is brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video?

b. Are you looking at the rendered or unrendered Timeline? What is the nature of your edits, even those that you call "minor edits"?

c. What is the duration of the Timeline content when you are viewing it in the Edit area monitor?

d. How are the Scratch Disks setup?

e. What is your intended export?

f. Latest version of QuickTime installed on computer with Premiere Elements?

g. Running program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and run with application of Run As Administrator

h. Video card/graphics card driver up to date according to web site of manufacturer of the card?

Please review the above and then we will comment further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?

chemsaf

Thanks for the reply, but there was nothing in your reply except "See below", and there was nothing below.

Please try again.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?
              chemsaf Community Member

Try this

What computer operating system is involved? What is a description of its resources other than 1.6 GHz processor...installed and available RAM, free hard drive space, other?

HP Pavilion DM1 Notebook PC

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium

4 Gig RAM

620 gig available on a 750 gig HD

AMD E-350 Processor at 1.6 GHz

For all of this testing/debugging, I am using a single clip, but have verified the problem on multiple clips.

We could go through the drill of making sure that the following factors are not contributing to performance which is limited by the computer specifications.

I have already installed the latest video driver and reinstalled PE 12.

a. What are the properties of the source media and what project preset are you or the project setting to match the properties of the source media?

The source are clips shot with a Canon Vixia HF330.  Clip files are on the system drive in AVCHD (MTS) format. I have tried all of the AVCDH profiles; the best fit to the camera is FULL HD 1080i 30. Here are the properties of the file as brought into ASSETS

TYPE  MPEG movie

FILE SIZE   42.3 Mb

IMAGE SIZE 1920 x 1080

Frame rate 29.97

I am skipping audio

Total duration 23 seconds

Pixel aspect 1.0

What is brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video? See above. Set to record AVCHD – nothing else special or unique

b. Are you looking at the rendered or unrendered Timeline? What is the nature of your edits, even those that you call "minor edits"?

Have tried both – the clip plays smoothly for a few seconds and then gets more and more jerky.  Rendering does not improve play back.  The PUBLISHED clip is OK on Windows Media Player as is the as shot clip.

At this point we are not editing.  We wanted to combine several clips, and possibly trim some content out.  I did this on another PC with PE 12 and these clips and had no problems. 

c. What is the duration of the Timeline content when you are viewing it in the Edit area monitor?

23 s

d. How are the Scratch Disks setup?

Default – have not changed them so they are the system drive

e. What is your intended export?

Just want to string together lightly-trimmed clips into a sequence that can be LCD-projected for colleagues (other divers on a dive boat).  Definitive editing is done at home on a MBP/OSX6.8/FCE4.0.

f. Latest version of QuickTime installed on computer with Premiere Elements?

QT Player 7

g. Running program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and run with application of Run As Administrator.

I run as the User/Administrator; Just opened as Administrator, set everything as described above, and no improvement.

h. Video card/graphics card driver up to date according to web site of manufacturer of the card?

Yes – updated yesterday and verified it did not change the situation

Please review the above and then we will comment further.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?

chemsaf

Thanks for the replies.

I got a late start to the day and am still working on catch up.

I should be posting more thoughts on your issues within the next few hours. Just wanted to let you know that

I saw your replies and am working on them.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 8. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?

chemsaf

If, in the circumstances that you described, you cannot get decent playback for a 23 second AVCHD.mts clip then I suspect your issue goes beyond just a slow processor as might be inferred by its 1.6 GHz clock speed. The Adobe specifications are "for best results" not written in stone. And, often a specific processor and clock speed combo can yield different speeds even if the clock speed is lower. But, just to get it in the troubleshooting record, is your processor with the 1.6 GHz clock speed, single or dual core type processor?

The intent of my replies is and has been to rule in or out non computer resource factors that might be causing your 23 second rendered clip to play back in the Edit area monitor in a jerky fashion.

I checked out the specifications for your Canon HF R300 (I am assuming you left out the R in your description of it).

The camera that I found can record AVCHD @ 60i, PF24, or PF30. Could you find out which one of the 3 your camera is set for.

And, when the clip is imported, right click the clip's thumbnail in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, and then tell us what is shown there

in the Frame Rate section of the Interpret Footage dialog.

You are probably shooting 60i which would be 29.97 interlaced frames per second as opposed to PF24 which would represent 24 progressive frames per second or PF30 which would be 30 progressive frames per second. I just want to make sure for the sake of the Premiere Elements project preset.

If 60i, NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30

If PF24, probably NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p24

If PF30, probably NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Set the project preset manually to assure that you have the correct setting. See details for setting project preset manually.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

With the correct project preset evaluate your preview in the Edit area monitor.

You can also right click the monitor, select Playback Quality, and switch the Playback Quality from Automatic to Highest.

If you are working with interlaced as opposed to progressive footage, then we can look into likelihood of an interlace issue and apply

Field Options such as Reverse Field Dominance or Always Deinterlace (See Field Options from a right click of the Timeline video.)

We can also look at an export of the Timeline to compare the Edit area play back quality versus the quality of the export in one

of your computer players. We can talk about export settings once you confirm the details of your source.

Lots to check out and sort out. But, if you have some heavy AVCHD editing to do, best look for another computer with more resources. The good news is that you have Premiere Elements 12 on a Windows 7 64 bit computer which has its resource perks. Your 4 GB installed RAM could be 8 GB, but it and your computer's free hard drive space appear to be supportive for now.

Have you looked at source media from another source? Have you tried the camera's AVCHD.mp4 recording instead of AVCHD.mts?

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?
                    chemsaf Community Member

I am working on your suggestions and will reply latyer today

Thanks

Neal

• 10. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?

Neal

Thanks for considering the troubleshooting suggestions.

If not today, whenever you get the time, we will be looking forward to your results.

Hope the considerations will create some breakthroughs for the concerns that you have for your video editing.

ATR

• 11. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?
                        chemsaf Community Member

My responses:

If, in the circumstances that you described, you cannot get decent playback for a 23 second AVCHD.mts clip then I suspect your issue goes beyond just a slow processor as might be inferred by its 1.6 GHz clock speed. The Adobe specifications are "for best results" not written in stone. And, often a specific processor and clock speed combo can yield different speeds even if the clock speed is lower. But, just to get it in the troubleshooting record, is your processor with the 1.6 GHz clock speed, single or dual core type processor?

The intent of my replies is and has been to rule in or out non computer resource factors that might be causing your 23 second rendered clip to play back in the Edit area monitor in a jerky fashion.

The camera is the Canon Vixia HF G30.  Here is a link to the specifications:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/high_definition_camcorders/vixia _hf_g30#Specifications

I checked out the specifications for your Canon HF R300 (I am assuming you left out the R in your description of it).

The camera that I found can record AVCHD @ 60i, PF24, or PF30. Could you find out which one of the 3 your camera is set for.

And, when the clip is imported, right click the clip's thumbnail in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, and then tell us what is shown there

in the Frame Rate section of the Interpret Footage dialog.

The captured AVCHD is 1080i 60.  The imported Frame Rate is 29.97

You are probably shooting 60i which would be 29.97 interlaced frames per second as opposed to PF24 which would represent 24 progressive frames per second or PF30 which would be 30 progressive frames per second. I just want to make sure for the sake of the Premiere Elements project preset.

If 60i, NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30 – Used this with no improvement

If PF24, probably NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p24

If PF30, probably NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@29.97 <mailto:1080p30@29.97>

Set the project preset manually to assure that you have the correct setting. See details for setting project preset manually.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting <http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html>

With the correct project preset evaluate your preview in the Edit area monitor. Did this and got no improvement; over the course of this troubleshooting exercise, I have tried all of the AVCHD presets and none improve the situation.

You can also right click the monitor, select Playback Quality, and switch the Playback Quality from Automatic to Highest. Did this and no improvement

If you are working with interlaced as opposed to progressive footage, then we can look into likelihood of an interlace issue and apply

Field Options such as Reverse Field Dominance or Always Deinterlace (See Field Options from a right click of the Timeline video.)

Tried all of the options and nothing improved.

We can also look at an export of the Timeline to compare the Edit area play back quality versus the quality of the export in one

of your computer players. We can talk about export settings once you confirm the details of your source.

The export to a simple MPEG gives a good result.  The problem is that I cannot do any edits to make a quick and dirty edited clip to show

Lots to check out and sort out. But, if you have some heavy AVCHD editing to do, best look for another computer with more resources. The good news is that you have Premiere Elements 12 on a Windows 7 64 bit computer which has its resource perks. Your 4 GB installed RAM could be 8 GB, but it and your computer's free hard drive space appear to be supportive for now.

Have you looked at source media from another source? Have you tried the camera's AVCHD.mp4 recording instead of AVCHD.mts?

Imported an AVI clip shot with a Nikon D300s DSLR.  Id played perfectly in PE12.

Please review and then we can decide what next.

• 12. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?

chemsaf

Thanks for the reply with more details of your situation.

Sounds like good news about MPEG and AVI files, but are these SD or HD files?

Your camera records with AVCHD compression to give an AVCHD file with either mts or mp4 file extension. From what you wrote, you have

been recording with the AVCHD.mts setting for 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. Could you record a 1 second AVCHD.mp4 clip

with the camera and determine if it behaves the same in Premiere Elements as the AVCHD.mts. In the case of AVCHD.mp4, record using the frame

rate of PF29.97 to give 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. The results should be interesting and helpful. Use the Premiere Elements project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p 30 @ 29.97

But, let me ask again, just to make sure I have not gone off track here....

When you say

The export to a simple MPEG gives a good result.  The problem is that I cannot do any edits to make a quick and dirty edited clip to show

are you saying that you can take your AVCHD.mts 23 seconds clip and export it to a file via Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with one of the presets there and get good results. But, your issues are confined to edits and controlling them in the Edit area? Please define what kind of MPEG and AVI exports, SD or HD?

If this all turns out to be an AVCHD compression issue, is it going to be worth  your while to do conversion of the AVCHD.mts to MPEG2 HD.mpg prior to import of the file into a Premiere Elements project in the present computer environment?

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 13. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?
                            chemsaf Community Member

Sorry for the delay – I was in meetings all day

You are correct about everything. I did the MP4. Experiment and got the jerky results. It was HD.  The AVI was SD.  This was smooth

I reached the same conclusion you ended with to try a conversion to other formats before PE12. Plan to work on that next few days.

I agree that it looks like a AVCHD compression issue.

I intend to experiment with MEDIA CONVERTER from ArcSoft over the weekend and see if I can get anywhere.

We took 2 short clips and did not try to play them in the monitor, rather stepped through them and did some snips and deletes and added a transition. Sent it out to MP2 for computer and it played fine.  Not a good solution, but will work in a pinch

Will advise you of results few days.

Thanks

Neal

• 14. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?

Neal

Thanks for the update.

We will be watching for results from your latest tests when you get a chance.

Depending on how things go, we could talk about the merits of various free converters as to ease of use and the offered formats that would suit your purposes.

ATR

• 15. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?
                                chemsaf Community Member

I used the Arcsoft Media Converter and tried both MP4 and AVI.  I imported into PE12 as new projects using different settings in PE12; nothing worked.  I am reaching the conclusion that the overall laptop system is just too slow.

I cannot imaging that this is a bad copy of PE12 downloaded from Amazon (not Adobe) website.

Any other ideas before I close this?

Thanks for you help.

Neal

• 16. Re: My laptop has a 1.6 GHz processor and PE12 plays clips jerkily.  Are there any work-arounds other than buying a new computer?

Neal

Before any final decisions,

a. What are the properties of these files that you created with Archsoft Media Converter, besides the file extension of .mp4 or .avi?

And, what were the corresponding project preset that you set for the project into which you imported the file?

b. How did they not work? Is your criteria the playback smoothness or lack there of?

c. If you want to rule in or out some type of installation file corruption, you could download and install the installation files from the following web site (with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-12-direct-download-links-premiere.html

Read and carry out carefully the web site's Note: Very Important Instructions" with its "Here" link so that you do not get an Access Denied Message.

You can insert your purchased serial number into the installation files and make this your working copy of the program.

We will watch for further developments and your decision.

Thanks for the continuing follow ups.

ATR